Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Virgin to eir

Options
  • 28-11-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I gather that Virgin use thir cable service for phone calls rather than the old telecom land lines. Is it the case that I must have a live landline to switch to eir from Virgin? I want to get a phone/tv/broadband bundle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Virgin bring TV phone and broadband through a coax TV type cable and Eir bring TV phone and broadband through a phone line.

If you don't have a phone socket then you'll need to get one fitted.

I'd recommend ordering eir now and having it installed before your Virgin service is due to switch off. (VM require 30 days notice to chancel) Do not port your number until you are happy with the broadband and especially TC service. Once you port your number, your Virgin phone product switches off. To re-activate it on virgin (if you're not happy with the eir setup for example) induces a new contract.

Do your sums too for the life of the eir contract, see what you'll actually save. If you're out of contract with Virgin (a lot of people are due to price increase) you could bargain for a new deal. Aim to get 9 months half price on a 12 month contract.

If you know anyone with eir TV have a go of it and make sure you like it. I actually found it a step down from the much complained about Horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you know anyone with eir TV have a go of it and make sure you like it. I actually found it a step down from the much complained about Horizon box.

Its far inferior. EirVision is only suitable for people who watch TV once a month IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Vodafone one is a bit better, I was in this situation in the summer. Retentions offer worked out well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MikeKaiserBud

Thanks for those comments - over two years ago!! We got sidetracked at the time and are still with Virgin but will check offers available now and see what can be done. Thanks again and sorry for not responding aat the time.

Advertisement