Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Learner Driver best options

Options
  • 28-11-2016 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello.

This is my first time posting here and i'm looking for some advice. I am just getting my Learner Licence today and was wondering what is the best route to go down in terms of Instructors and Insurers.

I know that some of my friends have been put down on there parents cars as named drivers and done lessons with the likes of aviva which helps to keep there insurance prices down however I plan on being the main driver on a separate car to my parents.

Would aviva still be useful to me or is there an easier and cheaper route?

Thanks in advance.

SD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Im 36 and got quoted 5000 by first Ireland and that was the only quote I could get.
    My only option is to get insured on my dads car but he lives so far I would never be able to drive it.
    Im being penalized for being a late Learner

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SureWhyNotNow

Being a named driver on your parent's policy costs the same as your own policy, in my experience, no quotes cheaper than 3500. Me being on my dad's policy(over 50, has a perfect record) instantly shot up the quote to 3000+ and only 2-3 companies quoted

I think First Ireland did new driver policies for in and around 2000 provided you paid upfront and the car was relatively new and 1-1.2L. That's what I was offered anyway and a mate of mine got it too.

For learning to drive it's far cheaper to just pay for lessons in an instructor's car. I paid 30 per lesson, did 14 (12 mandatory, did a practice and a pre-test) so that's 420 quid over the course of 2-3 months iirc. Insurance would be around 250-280 a month,not including deposit and costs of running a car.

For instructors I just found a well reviewed private one. I think for Aviva each lesson is evaluated and it goes toward how much of a discount you get. Can't confirm myself though.

Either way you're getting shafted by insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SaintDonegan

I done a few quick quotes from a couple of companies including boxymo who quoted me €2500 for Third party, fire and theft for a 1.2 Volkswagen Polo that i don't own just used to it get an idea. I then checked AXA who do student policies (as well as a multi-car discount because my parents are with them) just under €2100 which will drop quarterly too.

Advertisement