Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

27 in 1440p 144Hz G-sync IPS monitor - Too expensive - which spec do I drop?

Options
  • 28-11-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

In the market for a new monitor, it's gotta be about 27 inch.

I currently use a 1080p TN 60 Hz 24 in moniter and play a lot of Overwatch, TF2 and the grand open world single player games. I guess anything would be an upgrade at this stage. Have a 780 Ti with a 3570K.

I *want*

1440p
    144 Hz
    G-sync
    IPS

But I can't afford that so, If you were to loose one of those specs what would it be? Anyone have experience on the trade off between TN and IPs would be great, I keep seeing articles on people being 100% for or against one or the other, but would like some practical knowledge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

G-Sync is by far the biggest cost. A 1440P 144hz freesync monitor would be a massive chunk cheaper.

I'd sacrifice that before I'd sacrifice the resolution or refresh rate to be honest. I find TN fine, my own monitor is exactly the spec's you've laid out with a TN panel and I find it excellent.

The whole 'I wouldn't touch TN' thing is totally overblown and exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

I am coming from a TN, so I don't really know what a good IPS actually looks like. That said I was amazed by some OLED TV I saw recently but I have no idea how that applies to monitors.

One thing that always bugged me about gaming performance was not screen tearing per se but the stuttering effect I would get on certain titles like witcher 3, which I mostly had maxed at 60 FPS. I would never get them on TF2/Overwatch however.

I would hate to upgrade my monitor and not bump the resolution so I will look into Freesync.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment OP. From looking around, the next step down from the higher end Acer/Asus options with the specs you've listed seems to be the Dell S2716DG. For the ~£200 savings, you lose the IPS panel but as TerrorFirmer said, whether that'll really matter to you may depend.

I'm going to be coming from a dual Dell U2412 setup myself so while I may miss the IPS panel, I'm still not sure it's worth the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

finlaycm wrote: »
    I am coming from a TN, so I don't really know what a good IPS actually looks like. That said I was amazed by some OLED TV I saw recently but I have no idea how that applies to monitors.

One thing that always bugged me about gaming performance was not screen tearing per se but the stuttering effect I would get on certain titles like witcher 3, which I mostly had maxed at 60 FPS. I would never get them on TF2/Overwatch however.

I would hate to upgrade my monitor and not bump the resolution so I will look into Freesync.
    That's probably your GPU tbh

So if I did get a Freesync, does that mean I should change to AMD for my next upgrade? I assume you can just turn off Free sync and use a NVidia card.

I saw this, it seems to tick every box, IPS 1440p 144Hz (freesync), looks too good to be true?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB714894154&cm_re=1440_144_ips-_-9SIAB714894154-_-Product

The advertised lag is 4 ms but usually this can be doubled in practice, or so I hear. Would I really notice an increase in input lag coming from a TN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I don't think you can "turn off" Free Sync, the monitor would just run at 144Hz at all times (with the game running at whatever FPS it can).

Also there's no point buying from Newegg, once you are hit with customs and tax it'll end up costing you more/same as buying from from EU, and you'd effectively have zero warranty to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I ordered the Dell S2716DG from Overclockers today. I was looking at the 24" version originally but there was only a few quid in the difference. I would have liked to get an IPS panel but it wasn't worth the extra couple of hundred bucks plus it seems to be a crap shoot whether or not you get a good quality one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I saw this, it seems to tick every box, IPS 1440p 144Hz (freesync), looks too good to be true?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB714894154&cm_re=1440_144_ips-_-9SIAB714894154-_-Product

I was seriously looking at this myself a while ago as you said it ticked all the boxes
    It's a premium panel in a cheap case with no bells or whistles, so no height adjustment or much outputs and a touch based settings

whereas I am now considering this panel but it is not in stock but was previously £389

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Anyone have first hand experience with the Asus ROG Swift series of 27" Monitors?

They're pricey, but have all the key features for gaming.

According to amazon, there have been lots of problems with quality control like dead pixels on arrival. Kind of ridiculous considering the price.

• Advertisement

Anyone have first hand experience with the Asus ROG Swift series of 27" Monitors?

According to amazon, there have been lots of problems with quality control like dead pixels on arrival. Kind of ridiculous considering the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Do a search in the monitors forum on Reddit. There are plenty of good and bad stories there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pugzilla wrote: »

I have a Asus Rog Dominator(Don't really know the difference between Swift and Dominator) and it is a excellent display 1440p and IPS no dead pixels and no light bleed.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-mg279q-rog-dominator-27-2560x1440-ips-freesync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-slim-bezel-monitor-mo-083-as.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I have a Rog swift 27. No dead pixels. Is pretty decent for gaming. That said I'd recommend the Dell s2716dg ahead of it.

Can be got for around 627 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I have been researching this myself recently.

I didn't pull the trigger yet but this appears to be the best price going for a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitor with Freesync: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-acer-xf270hu-amd-freesync-wqhd-monitor-144hz-2560x1440-ips-4ms-speakers-adjustable-dp-hdmi-dvi-us?utm_source=pc%20part%20picker&utm_medium=referral

It's the Acer XF270HU. This is £390 on scan and £500+ on all the other UK retailers. The cheapest g-sync with equivalent spec is £564 for an AOC model.

Even though I have an Nvidia card, the "G-sync tax" is too much here and if I was to buy a new monitor with these specs, I would opt for the freesync Acer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I dropped the g-sync, 144hz myself in the end and went for the IPS U2715H https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-dell-u2715h-monitor-ips-panel-2560x1440-6ms-350cd-m-dp-mdp-hdmi-black

Was reading too much bad stuff about the Asus/Acer 27 inch ips g-sync.

I did almost go for the S2716DG can't recall now what swung it in the end but happy with my choice.

I am similar except I was taking a look at the U2515H. It's a tricky market at the minute. We would all be better off if the industry settled on one adaptive sync technology.

Would a GTX1080 be wasted on a 1440p 60hz monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes, massively. I can run a 1440p with a R9 290 on max settings and I get above 60Hz obviously it fluctuates higher and lower but average would be around 60Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Similar boat here on the price.

Running a 6700k with a 1080 Gaming x.
    Monitor is a BenQ XL2430T 24 inch 144 Hz 1920x1080. In itself, it's a great monitor. But just wasted on my setup.
    Was hoping for some sort of deal in the sales but sadly, not a thing appeared.

Guess I'm holding off until after xmas to see if something appears then.

• Advertisement

@ Vim Feugo

That Acer 27" XF270HU 2K Looks just about perfect and a good price. 144hz, IPS, 27 incch 1440p. I am seriously considering getting that, must look up reviews.

Might be moving country soon though, I wonder whats the best way to ship a computer.

Why do all the Acer and Asus gaming monitors have ****e build quality?

@ Vim Feugo

That Acer 27" XF270HU 2K Looks just about perfect and a good price. 144hz, IPS, 27 incch 1440p. I am seriously considering getting that, must look up reviews.

Might be moving country soon though, I wonder whats the best way to ship a computer.

I'll let you know. I ordered it (I am weak) but scan says it won't ship until the 9th. :(

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I'll let you know. I ordered it (I am weak) but scan says it won't ship until the 9th. :(

They have no problems delivering to Ireland?

No and it's not expensive either - £10 with DPD. I was surprised.

A GTX1070 would be ideal, the premium for the 1080 wouldn't be reflected at all beyond the framerate counter.

1080 is really for 4K or 1440p/144hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

@ Vim Feugo

I actually mentioned it earlier in my post :(
    but I'm not bitter ;)

Anyone ever used parcel motel to get monitors from amazon?

Some of the 'UK delivery only' retailers are significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

The other option is to keep an eye on the clearance section of overclockers.co.uk

Sometimes they have really good deals and last time they had a few 27" gsync Dell monitors I posted them here and I think a few people picked them up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Woden wrote: »
    I dropped the g-sync, 144hz myself in the end and went for the IPS U2715H https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-dell-u2715h-monitor-ips-panel-2560x1440-6ms-350cd-m-dp-mdp-hdmi-black

Was reading too much bad stuff about the Asus/Acer 27 inch ips g-sync.

I did almost go for the S2716DG can't recall now what swung it in the end but happy with my choice.

how is it for gaming?

Advertisement