Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Logo design Competition

Options
  • 28-11-2016 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi All.
    Looking to get a company logo designed for a start-up.
    I have looked at the free options online but I understand quality needs to be paid for.
    Im looking for something simple and I have a good idea of what I want. Looking for up to 5 willing designers to get involved. I'm not looking for anything wild so it won't be a big time-consumer.

I can afford to pay €150 to the winning Logo. I appreciate this will be less than some designers are willing to entertain but that's what I can manage.

Hoping to hear from you.
    Thanks for your time in reading this.

Kind regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 rossi.

A competition?
    ...so you would like to have five designers work for free and then pay one?

why not ask for portfolios and choose one you like?
    its the reason we create portfolios in the first place mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gustus

rossi. wrote: »
    A competition?

I hadn't thought about that. I was trying to create an opportunity and a bit of fun in the process. No need to get excited.
    I guess the recession is over then. Great news ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

gustus wrote: »
    I hadn't thought about that. I was trying to create an opportunity and a bit of fun in the process. No need to get excited.
    I guess the recession is over then. Great news ;)

Ain't nothing fun about working for free

You and your design will benefit more from working with one designer. Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gustus

Thanks for reply. I was trying to re-create what happens on 99-designs etc. It seems to be a way of creating a design on a budget. I am new to this and trying to figure it all out.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭bemak

rossi. wrote: »
    A competition?

try being an architect for a while. this is exactly what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't see the OP demanding anything. He has offered 5 people a choice, they can choose to take part or not.
    I tender for work all the time without a guarantee of a penny in return. I could choose not to do that and go hungry.
    Just saying, it's a free an transparent offer, nowt wrong with it.

I don't mind the thoughts of it either. Something to chew on on the drive home!

I'll throw my hat into the ring for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

You could perhaps still use a service such as 99D for this, but limit it to being a private/invite-only/limited type competition (to avoid most of the stock rubbish and time wasting).

This way the brief, funds, file transfers, competition validity and communications are managed by their platform.

Crowd sourcing isn't a perfect model, but it exists and is likely only to grow down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

bemak wrote: »

You do 90% of the work to win a bid. Really?

beauf wrote: »

In a PPP (public private partnership) bid you might as well be putting a tender pack together - huge amount of work and ends up being you against five or six other firms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

beauf wrote: »

I would imagine a good deal of the creative input would be done.

In a PPP (public private partnership) bid you might as well be putting a tender pack together - huge amount of work and ends up being you against five or six other firms.

I've experience of tenders. Tenders for major projects, can be a lot of work. But still a tiny fraction of the overall work. If you win it, it will pay for the work required for other tenders.

With a graphics the design its often most of the work. Its not like if you win the graphic competition it will pay for your time to do it multiple times and only win one. Its unsustainable to work like that.

So its nothing like architect in that context.

People underestimate how much work it takes to design things. You wouldn't ask someone to paint your house, different colors until you see one you like, and not expect to pay for it.

That said, This isn't a proper competition is just a bit of fun, if someone fancies a bit of doodling. Nothing wrong with that. I might have a go myself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

beauf wrote:
    So its nothing like architect in that context.

My comparison with architects was in response to the comments that felt the OPs request was not a normal procurement route - there are times when you have to give the idea away to win the job, and the idea is the hard bit!

Unfortunately that doesn't work in Graphics. At least not on projects with a small return. Its just not viable. If you want to do as a hobby then fine. But you'll not make a living working for free. Working in other industries with much larger contract values is an entirely different business model. As it would be if it was a large contract in Graphics. The other side of it is getting ripped off is very common experience for designers. So an experienced designers will be very wary, or not interested in "hobby projects".

Hobby projects, or fun projects are fine, as long as they aren't confused with professional work. Well thats my thinking of it.

Advertisement