Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless doorbell that will sound through echo / dot

Options
  • 28-11-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We don't have a doorbell as I forgot to put a wire in for one when I was building a new porch extension a few years ago. have tried a few wireless ones but found them all to be pretty poor after a while. The 'if the really want us, they will knock loud enough' doorbell has worked fairly well, but if we are in the kitchen with the radio on there is little chance of hearing a bang on the front door.

Alexa has arrived now though, so was looking to see if there is a wireless gizmo i can get to put at the front door that will notify us through echo / dot when it is pressed?

Done a search but not coming up with much?

Cheers

Oink

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't think anything can Push notifications through Amazon Echo currently although something was announced about it a few weeks ago.

Something like a ring.com bell can send app notifications (mobile) or flash light etc. using IFTTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

Thanks Graham,
    At that price I'll stick with the 'bang loud' doorbell we currently have deployed!

Hopefully something will be developed for the echo at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'Wireless' doorbells are not much use anyway, I have had several and even one that cost over €80 packed up pretty quickly*. I was about to buy a knocker - was looking for a decent one - when it turned out my electric doorbell wasn't as defunct as I thought it was, so it was reconnected and all is good. The knocker might be a good idea though - or a bell-pull :D , if not in the spirit of the forum...

*A significant problem is that none of them are wood-louse proof.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Might be worth looking at some of the hack projects for the Amazon dash button. It's basically a WiFi connected button so you might be able to do something with a 'customised' dash and IFTTT.

You're still back to the no-push notifications on Echo though. Until Amazon allow push notifications, Alexa will only respond to your requests. It won't instigate anything.

Advertisement