Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about RAM

Options
  • 28-11-2016 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

I'm working on a budget gaming build for my son.
    I had expected to spend about 50e on 8gb (2x4) of ram.
    This came up on a lightening deal last night and I got it for about 60e.
    I expect that it will be fine but I just wanted to check a couple of things.

I've found plenty online saying that 2 sticks of 4gb is slightly better than 1 stick of 8.
    Am I right to assume that 1 stick of 16 is better than 2x4?

I'm probably going to go with a h170 board, I can put 2 sticks of whatever in the other channel, if I wanted to put in something in the other slot on the channel with the 16gb it would need to match in terms of capacity and speed, right?

If I went with a h110 board I wouldn't have to match this 16gb stick in the other slot as they are separate channels, is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

One stick will work but i would return the 16gb stick to get 2x8gb ones.With 2 sticks the motherboard will run the ram in "dual" channel mode so 2x8gb will be slightly faster.Either way 16gb is more than enough for gaming.

Mixing different brands/speeds/capacity/voltages and timings can work but it's very hit and miss and not worth the hassle if it can be avoided.

H110 boards are dual channel also but again you should be able to run just a single stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

game4it70 wrote: »
    One stick will work but i would return the 16gb stick to get 2x8gb ones.With 2 sticks the motherboard will run the ram in "dual" channel mode so 2x8gb will be slightly faster.Either way 16gb is more than enough for gaming.

Mixing different brands/speeds/capacity/voltages and timings can work but it's very hit and miss and not worth the hassle if it can be avoided.

H110 boards are dual channel also but again you should be able to run just a single stick.

Thanks, I only went for the 16gb because of the price, I won't get 2x8gb for that price so its either 1x16 or 2x4, hope I made the right choice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

You should be ok with the single stick.I would download the manual of whatever motherboard you decide to get to double check that it will run a single stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

game4it70 wrote: »

Dual channel RAM has a 1-2% benefit at most.

OP keep the RAM you bought.

Advertisement