Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beacons

Options
  • 28-11-2016 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone doing anything smart at home with beacons?

I've played around with them in the office to confirm meeting room bookings when you enter and to free the room when you leave.

Any inspiring ideas for the home, apart from turning on/off lights!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

jester77 wrote: »
    Anyone doing anything smart at home with beacons?

I've played around with them in the office to confirm meeting room bookings when you enter and to free the room when you leave.

Any inspiring ideas for the home, apart from turning on/off lights!

Need a bit more info, any links etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Need a bit more info, any links etc?

A beacon is just a tiny bluetooth device that emits regular heartbeats. Once you pick up the heartbeat you can react on it to do something. A very simple idea would be to put a beacon somewhere in a room and once you walk in you would trigger the lights to turn on.

Estimote would be one of the more popular beacons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Never thought of beacons for home automation actually but gonna pick a few up now and see what I can do with them.

I was thinking of getting the Hue Motion sensor but this would be a much cheaper way to get the same functionality throughout the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Good for presence detection using Bluetooth.

E.g. when phone X detects beacon A then do ........
    or when Beacon B detects Beacon C then......

Kontakt.io are another major Beacon provider.

Worth considering what you want to use them with as there's two competing standards at the moment, iBeacon (Apple) and Eddystone (Google). Probably no need to explain which ones work better with iOS/Android. Some of the newer beacons can be switched between iBeacon/Eddystone, even newer (more expensive ones) should be able to transmit both.

Kontakt have a neat card beacon on the market now, not much thicker than a credit card. Should open up some interesting possibilities.

Some of the beacons have additional sensors to detect heat/light/movement which might be of interest for HA purposes.

It's worth pointing out that (generally) beacons transmit rather than receive so you'll need a Bluetooth enabled phone/app to detect the beacons and do something. One exception to this is Kontakt.io who have a Daddy-Beacon (can't remember the name) that connects to WiFi and can listen to any other Kontakt beacons within range. Newer Apple TV models have some BlueTooth functionality that I'm guessing will work with iBeacons.

Advertisement