Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ebay Scam

Options
  • 27-11-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I have been buying items on Ebay for many years and in the past I never had any significant issues, until now. Here's the problem, if you buy something from China on Ebay, it can take up to 6 weeks for delivery and Ebay only give you 60 days to leave feedback, make a complaint or request a refund. The item I ordered didn't arrive during the estimated times and i contacted the seller and they asked me to wait, I patiently waited and when I contacted them the 2nd time the 60 days had just elapsed and the seller will no longer respond, I can't leave feedback and I can't request a refund or anything. Ebay with their terrible customer service don't even provide an email address or any live chat anymore, so there's nothing you can do. Paypal disputes aren't applicable over 45 days. Basically the low-life sellers don't care about answering once the 60 days have passed since Ebay doesn't allow you to leave feedback, so after 60 days you can't touch them. Considering how long it takes to ship from China, 60 days is totally unacceptable. Also, what happens when something looks good at first, but breaks a few weeks later, once you've passed the 60 days, there's nothing you can do, making the whole feedback process pretty useless in many cases. I'm sure Ebay sellers will argue with this, saying 60 days is plenty of time, since it's in their own self interests to limit the time for feedback, but if they are a real legitimate seller, 90 days or longer shouldn't be a problem.

So just to warn people of this potential scam, you need to be vigilant and don't let the 60 days pass you buy, contact seller, contact Ebay or maybe better yet, just don't use Ebay until they allow feedback past 60 days!!!!!!:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

SeamusFX wrote: »
    I have been buying items on Ebay for many years and in the past I never had any significant issues, until now. Here's the problem, if you buy something from China on Ebay, it can take up to 6 weeks for delivery and Ebay only give you 60 days to leave feedback, make a complaint or request a refund. The item I ordered didn't arrive during the estimated times and i contacted the seller and they asked me to wait, I patiently waited and when I contacted them the 2nd time the 60 days had just elapsed and the seller will no longer respond, I can't leave feedback and I can't request a refund or anything. Ebay with their terrible customer service don't even provide an email address or any live chat anymore, so there's nothing you can do. Paypal disputes aren't applicable over 45 days. Basically the low-life sellers don't care about answering once the 60 days have passed since Ebay doesn't allow you to leave feedback, so after 60 days you can't touch them. Considering how long it takes to ship from China, 60 days is totally unacceptable. Also, what happens when something looks good at first, but breaks a few weeks later, once you've passed the 60 days, there's nothing you can do, making the whole feedback process pretty useless in many cases. I'm sure Ebay sellers will argue with this, saying 60 days is plenty of time, since it's in their own self interests to limit the time for feedback, but if they are a real legitimate seller, 90 days or longer shouldn't be a problem.

So just to warn people of this potential scam, you need to be vigilant and don't let the 60 days pass you buy, contact seller, contact Ebay or maybe better yet, just don't use Ebay until they allow feedback past 60 days!!!!!!:mad:

WHen I want to buy items from China, HK, etc I buy them from Aliexpress they have better service and can extend the numbers of days if needed.

For Paypal disputes you have 180 days to open it. They extended the number of days a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭satguy

I stopped using ebay for items over €5 or so..

When it comes to CS ,, ebay is the worst ,,,

In this house,, if what you want is €5 or more,, you can not use ebay,, "house rule" ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I use aliexpress too. EBay has gone to **** recently for both buying and selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

SeamusFX wrote: »

why not open a dispute before the 60 days are up??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

satguy wrote: »
    I stopped using ebay for items over €5 or so..

When it comes to CS ,, ebay is the worst ,,,

In this house,, if what you want is €5 or more,, you can not use ebay,, "house rule" ..

Do not understand this, ebay will side with a buyer 95% of the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Use Aliexpress dx.com focalprice etc

The majority of the sellers would not be pulling a scam, they would be "Drop Shipping" from the above sites. You pay them €1 for an item. They then go to those sites and pay €0.50 and have them post it directly to you. The majority of times everything goes well. But every now and then items can get backed up or lost.

I used to do it myself on ebay a few years back and made a small fortune on twilight jewelry. People paid me €17 and knew that they would have to wait up to 60 days for the items but the majority were there in 3 weeks(. I was making €11 profit per piece and I was still the cheapest seller on ebay.

The good old days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

its been years since used ebay,also not sure whats the situation since they parted with paypal - but like above paypal has long term on raising dispute,thus collect all emails and put in claim,should get money back no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement