Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI parent estrangement

Options
  • 27-11-2016 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Im looking to see if I'm eligible for the parent estrangement section of SUSI. I moved out of my house to my uncles house in September this year. I haven't had any contact with my parents since then.
    I am able to get a letter from the HSE regarding this enstrangement but as I was 18 when I moved out my uncle didn't apply for child benefit or anything that would prove I live with him.
    What documents would I be able to get to prove that I live with my uncle and that have no contact with my parents?
    Also if I cannot get SUSI would I be able to fund college totally with student loans. I'm looking to do quantitative business in UCD so I hope a job in the future would help with these repayments.
    Thanks for the help!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Andrewjt wrote: »
    Im looking to see if I'm eligible for the parent estrangement section of SUSI. I moved out of my house to my uncles house in September this year. I haven't had any contact with my parents since then.
    I am able to get a letter from the HSE regarding this enstrangement but as I was 18 when I moved out my uncle didn't apply for child benefit or anything that would prove I live with him.
    What documents would I be able to get to prove that I live with my uncle and that have no contact with my parents?
    Also if I cannot get SUSI would I be able to fund college totally with student loans. I'm looking to do quantitative business in UCD so I hope a job in the future would help with these repayments.
    Thanks for the help!:)

Section D:

Evidence of Estrangement
    If, on your SUSI Grant Application Form you have declared yourself estranged from your parents then you must provide evidence of estrangement.
    You will need to supply the following documentation as evidence of estrangement;
    • Letters and/or reports from Gardaí, i.e. incident reports detailing specific domestic disturbances; 
    • Letters and/or reports from Social Worker or Health Service Executive detailing any care placements, i.e. Foster Care, After Care;
    • Court Order, E.g. Barring Order

Note: A letter from the Gardaí stating that you are estranged from your parents is not sufficient unless supported by one of the documents listed above.

Advertisement