Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinned fish

Options
  • 27-11-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

I'm not a big fish eater, I really hate the stuff so fish preparation for Brendan is new to me.

Am I safe to give him tinned fish. Had a look in Aldi yesterday and they have a decent range but all say that they may contain soft bones.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Feed away... You're apparently better off going for fodder fish (bottom of food chain) such as sardines, herrings, salmon (as a species, not fodder fish, but the tinned ones are farmed so not eating other fish with consequent mercury build-up... Apparently!)... Oily fish are more nutritious than whitefish.
    I've also read that you're better off not feeding fish preserved in oil as the fatty acids in the oil fight with the good ones in the fish, I feed my dogs with sardines in tomato sauce (how they love this!), but fish in brine is fine too as long as you drain off the brine... Which apparently contains no more salt than dry dog food does.
    Oily fish is seriously good for dogs. The bones won't even be noticed by him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My lot love the sardines or mackerel in tomato sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yep - funnily enough, our cats love the tins of fish in tomato sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

That was a massive success, mixed it in with his regular feed for breakfast, wasnt to sure at the beginning but he's licked his bowl clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dubjay

i got dry kibble form fish brand name spirit. good deals from petstop they come in trays which  are a whole meal. got it to mix with  normal kibble but unfortuatly i cant because of too much protein so i have to feed it as a seperate meal

• Advertisement
Advertisement