Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spayed boxer is now in heat

Options
  • 26-11-2016 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

My parents rehomed a boxer from a 'trustworthy' national agency.

She came spayed, and they've had her for a year or so. Last week, she came in heat which was a surprise for them, a delight for their jack russel and a treat for the neighbours dog with whom she ran off with.

We aren't sure if she has been covered, but that aside, is it normal for a spayed bitch to go back into heat?

Will she continue to come into heat? Or could this be a once-off thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ezra_ wrote: »
    My parents rehomed a boxer from a 'trustworthy' national agency.

She came spayed, and they've had her for a year or so. Last week, she came in heat which was a surprise for them, a delight for their jack russel and a treat for the neighbours dog with whom she ran off with.

We aren't sure if she has been covered, but that aside, is it normal for a spayed bitch to go back into heat?

no lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Either she is not spayed or tissue has been left behind causing her to cycle. Without being vulgar, is she swelled up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Knine wrote: »
    Either she is not spayed or tissue has been left behind causing her to cycle. Without being vulgar, is she swelled up?

They've had her for over a year with no issue. This came out of the blue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What exactly are the symptoms they're seeing? I'm assuming serious interest in her by males, maybe they're mounting her? Is there any discharge from her vulva? And as knine asked, is she swollen around her vulva?
    If they've had her a year, and there's a bit of ovary left behind, you'd have expected some hormonal activity 6 months ago as well.
    In the absence of anything 6 month ago, I'd be very much inclined to bring her to the vet to rule out other issues that might be underpinning this recent problem. I think she should see the vet either way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

DBB wrote: »
    What exactly are the symptoms they're seeing? I'm assuming serious interest in her by males, maybe they're mounting her? Is there any discharge from her vulva? And as knine asked, is she swollen around her vulva?
    If they've had her a year, and there's a bit of ovary left behind, you'd have expected some hormonal activity 6 months ago as well.
    In the absence of anything 6 month ago, I'd be very much inclined to bring her to the vet to rule out other issues that might be underpinning this recent problem. I think she should see the vet either way tbh.

Yes, there is swelling in her vulva and discharge.

The JR is very interested in her (first time this is the case, and they've been together now for c. 14 months).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

if she is a bitch with a 12 month cycle it is possible she is now in heat if not spayed properly

Advertisement