Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External LTE Antenna Setup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Huawei is a popular choice. Theres a better model now but its 3x the price and probably wont be faster for a few years.

Another user had that antenna and wasnt very happy. Depending on your receive strength it might be all you need, but if its not you'll end up doing it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

ED E wrote: »
    The Huawei is a popular choice. Theres a better model now but its 3x the price and probably wont be faster for a few years.

Another user had that antenna and wasnt very happy. Depending on your receive strength it might be all you need, but if its not you'll end up doing it twice.
    Thanks Ed!

Can you recommend a better antenna? Best LTE signal I can get outside is between -108dBm and -105dBm at ground level. Haven't braved the roof of the house yet.

It seems that directional antennas seem to offer better signal gains on paper, but are they useful when you don't have a line of site to the mast?

Should be still be better to a lesser or greater degree. Whats impeding LOS?

Its in one of the other threads on here, if you poke around long enough you should spot it (can't remember any keywords to pull it up). I'm not an antenna/radio guy but some of the others will probably chime in sooner or later.

Should be still be better to a lesser or greater degree. Whats impeding LOS?

Its in one of the other threads on here, if you poke around long enough you should spot it (can't remember any keywords to pull it up). I'm not an antenna/radio guy but some of the others will probably chime in sooner or later.
    LOS to the mast is being impeded by a hill about 500m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I was getting 1 or 2 mb download with 3 , Then I got that antenna and attached 6 m off the ground and getting 12 mb at Peak times and upto 18 off peak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

exaisle wrote: »
    Would the second one work if I don't have line of sight to the mast?

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Would the second one work if I don't have line of sight to the mast?

To be honest, I have no idea! My "expertise" in antennae dates back to getting BBC from NI where it couldn't usually be got....though it was usually the case that the better and more directional the antenna, the better the reception. Mind you, that was at frequencies of around 500-800Mhz.....I'm not sure about others but Three use 800Mhz and 1.8GHz for 4G... I would hazard a guess that the amount of signal "bounce" at the higher of those frequencies is minimal...

You'll notice that there are actually two antennae...I think this increases the effectiveness too...there's a webpage somewhere that explains it all :-)

However, I'm going to take the plunge and buy one myself...and see...while I have line of sight. my friend has a small wood blocking his...so I'm going to see if we can improve things..

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I would suggest going for the pair of LOG atennas in the second link. They seem to be reasonably priced.

I am in a similar situation where the Three 4G mast I'm aimed at is behind a hill and have a directional antenna pair aimed in the general direction of the mast. The separation between the two antennas certainly helps (at least for me) compared to using a single MIMO antenna where both polarities are in the one antenna.

For setting the antennas, I suggest connecting just the vertical antenna first and adjust it until you get the best dBm reading in your router. Then disconnect the vertical antenna, attach the horizontal antenna and fine tune it, first aimed in the general direction of the vertical antenna. You may need to adjust the height between the two antennas also.

editorsean wrote: »
    I would suggest going for the pair of LOG atennas in the second link. They seem to be reasonably priced.

I am in a similar situation where the Three 4G mast I'm aimed at is behind a hill and have a directional antenna pair aimed in the general direction of the mast. The separation between the two antennas certainly helps (at least for me) compared to using a single MIMO antenna where both polarities are in the one antenna.

For setting the antennas, I suggest connecting just the vertical antenna first and adjust it until you get the best dBm reading in your router. Then disconnect the vertical antenna, attach the horizontal antenna and fine tune it, first aimed in the general direction of the vertical antenna. You may need to adjust the height between the two antennas also.
    Thanks for the tips!

What kind of signal are you getting on Three with and without the antenna? Do you have indoor LTE where you are?

I've ordered the Huawei B593, so I will try that on it's own without an antenna to see what kind of signal I get with that first.

• Advertisement

I do get very weak Three 4G (LTE) in my area on the 800MHz band.

I don't get LTE at all on my phone or dongle in the house, downstairs or in the loft.

On the Huawei B593s-22, I only get a weak signal with the antenna cables detached in the loft. It also shows how sensitive the Huawei's internal antennas are compared to a dongle which can't pick up the LTE at all inside:

yznYKI5.png

From what I recall, the best signal I was able to obtain was -107dBm in front of an older skylight window. Radio signals do not pass through modern Low-E coated glass, such as most windows and replacement glass installed in the past 10 or so years.

The following is with the antennas attached, both mounted high up on the gable outside:

TetgEiE.png

Just note that directional antennas don't work properly indoors. In fact I was disappointed when I first got my antenna as the signal was barely any better than what the router picked up in the loft. Once I took the antenna outside and mounted it temporarily on a camera tripod on top of a van (for height), I couldn't get over the signal difference.

On 3G, I get a full 5 bar signal with Meteor (-95dBm RSRP) and Vodafone (similar RSRP from what I recall), whereas I don't get 3G with either network on my phone in the house and only a weak 3G signal standing outside with my phone held up in the air.

editorsean wrote: »
    I do get very weak Three 4G (LTE) in my area on the 800MHz band.

I don't get LTE at all on my phone or dongle in the house, downstairs or in the loft.

On the Huawei B593s-22, I only get a weak signal with the antenna cables detached in the loft. It also shows how sensitive the Huawei's internal antennas are compared to a dongle which can't pick up the LTE at all inside:

yznYKI5.png

From what I recall, the best signal I was able to obtain was -107dBm in front of an older skylight window. Radio signals do not pass through modern Low-E coated glass, such as most windows and replacement glass installed in the past 10 or so years.

The following is with the antennas attached, both mounted high up on the gable outside:

TetgEiE.png

Just note that directional antennas don't work properly indoors. In fact I was disappointed when I first got my antenna as the signal was barely any better than what the router picked up in the loft. Once I took the antenna outside and mounted it temporarily on a camera tripod on top of a van (for height), I couldn't get over the signal difference.

On 3G, I get a full 5 bar signal with Meteor (-95dBm RSRP) and Vodafone (similar RSRP from what I recall), whereas I don't get 3G with either network on my phone in the house and only a weak 3G signal standing outside with my phone held up in the air.
    Thanks for all the information Sean.

I got the B593 and have tried it with both Vodafone and Three.

Best signal i can get indoors is:

Vodafone: -108 RSRP / -9 RSRQ - Speedtest: 23mb off-peak, 16mb peak.
    Three: -119 / -11 - Speedtest: 6mb

Taking the modem outside, best signal I can get with Vodafone is around -95 RSRP.

I'm going to go ahead and order the pair of directional antennas suggested above to see if I can get the Three signal up to a consistent 20mb. If that isn't possible I'll go with the Vodafone option.

Currently have a maximum 1.5mb on fixed line, so anything consistently over 10mb on 4G will be worth switching imo.

How sensitive are the directional antennae you use? Are we talking 1-2 degrees rotation making a significant difference in signal, similar to a satellite dish?

The rotational sensitivity is very similar to a directional TV antenna. From what I recall, I could turn the antenna something like 10 degrees before the RSRP figure dropped 1dB from its peak.

However, a small few degree rotation does make a noticeable impact on the speed. The problem I have is that there is a bay directly behind the hill I'm aimed at, so if I rotate my antenna a little too much to the right, there is a sharp drop-off in speed even though the RSRP and RSRQ figures remain unchanged, which I think is due to another 4G mast across the bay operating on the same channel that went live a few months ago.

When I adjusted the antenna, I brought up the router's diagnostic page on my phone's browser and this way I could see the figures update every few seconds as I rotated the antenna.

If you have just one antenna connected, the diagnostic page shows the figures for the connected antenna regardless of which port it's connected to. When both antennas are connected, the figures are shown for the antenna with the highest signal reading.

What length of cable do you have from the modem to the antennae?

I'm reading a lot about signal loss over the length of cable. Some antennae only come with 5m of cable, other with 10m.

What length of cable do you have from the modem to the antennae?

I'm reading a lot about signal loss over the length of cable. Some antennae only come with 5m of cable, other with 10m.
    I am using the 10 metre cables that came with my antennas. So far I have not actually tried shorter cables. I currently have my router located about 5 metres in from the outer cable wall, so am making use of the full cable length.

Although the signal strength weakens over a longer cable, the signal to noise ratio (signal quality) will barely deteriorate over the 10 metre run with good quality cable. The antenna is more likely to pick up interference from external sources such as from other users on the network than what the cable picks up over the short cable run to the router.

With my current set up, the following is an off-peak speed test I did on Speedtest.net (router readings -101dB RSRP, -7dB RSRQ). Speedtest ignores dips accounting for less than 30% the test duration, so gives an idea of my link speed with minimal contention:

5868077334.png

The following is another a little earlier today with TestMy. This test is much the same as timing a download a UK server with a stopwatch, except it automates the process.

2jmNAco3l.kjCtSYF46.png

The following is how they compare at the moment (peak time). I'm in a rural area, so the speed usually remains pretty good, although performing a lot better than usual this evening. Normally the speed drops below 10Mbps after 8pm here.

5867619532.pngZL5vVRTmI.3cWVuPtwd.png

You seem to be getting decent speeds. Are you on a Three MBB plan, or prepay AYCE?

Got the Dipol antennae with the 10m cable. Will try them out next week.

That is actually with a prepay AYCE SIM. The two people I knew with Three MBB have since switched network, so I'm no longer able to do a direct comparison in a specific location. When I last tried earlier in the year outside Donegal town with a friend's Three MBB SIM, there was a substantial difference in the speed with the Three MBB performing 3 to 4 times quicker peak time. It was something like 10 to 20Mbps vs 2 to 5Mbps with my SIM tested in the same spot. As that was outside Donegal, there is a much higher contention than the mast serving my area.

This evening the speed is all over the place. For example, when I started a test download from Heanet, it was hovering about 500KB/s (4Mbps):

Q0ffuqd.png

I was just about to cancel the download and the speed shot up (3.3MB/s = 26.4Mbps):

uhINErv.png

... and continued erratically going down and up over the next minute before I stopped the transfer. For comparison, the speed can remain pretty consistent almost like a VDSL connection early in the morning.

Hopefully all goes well with your antenna set up.

Got the Dipol antennae with the 10m cable. Will try them out next week.

I got one on Friday to see if I could improve a friend's BB speed.
    He's with Three and has been getting speeds of around 800=900k at best mainly due to the small wood between him and the nearest mast.
    Last night, with the two antennae connected to a shovel handle stuck in the garden, we were getting 1.4-1.8 megs...around a doubling of speed. I kid you not.. :-)
    Our next trick is to get a chimney bracket and pole and see how it does at a better elevation and more accurate direction. I suppose the goal would be to achieve a speed comfortably faster than 2megs so that he can watch netflix...

OK....update: My friend put the antenna(e) up today. He mounted them on a 3 metre pole which is mounted on his chimney using an old TV aerial bracket that was still there. He's getting 7mb minimum consistently. The antennae have made a huge difference....he's signed up to netflix and can watch streaming video at excellent quality without buffering.

Worth every cent...

Great stuff!

Does he have a clear line of sight to the mast from his roof? Also is that using a proper 3 MBB sim, or is it using AYCE prepay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

exaisle wrote: »
    OK....update: My friend put the antenna(e) up today. He mounted them on a 3 metre pole which is mounted on his chimney using an old TV aerial bracket that was still there. He's getting 7mb minimum consistently. The antennae have made a huge difference....he's signed up to netflix and can watch streaming video at excellent quality without buffering.

Worth every cent...

Just out of interest is that chimney on a bungalow or a two-storey house? How far off the ground is the antennae in meters or feet?

Great stuff!

Does he have a clear line of sight to the mast from his roof? Also is that using a proper 3 MBB sim, or is it using AYCE prepay?

To answer both queries....it's a proper 3 sim...not prepay.

The house is a bungalow...the actual antenna is about 7 to 8 metres off the ground...and he doesn't have direct line of sight....

Just an update on this.

I've installed the Dipol antennae on the roof of the house, about 8m from ground level. Currently have it set up with Three AYCE and getting speeds of between 10 and 20Mbps with pings of 30-40ms. This isn't bad considering the best speeds we can achieve on ADSL is 1.5Mbps.

I could have set it up on Vodafone and got speeds of at least 40mb with the external antenna, but don't want to be tied to VF's contract, and download limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

The much maligned COMREG provide a really neat map viewer for towers.

This map shows the local of cell towers.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

Click on the tower and it shows the supplier and what service (GSM, 4g) is provided. On some towers it also has a radiation report which shows what frequencies are transmitted.

Not bad for regulator.!

paddy19 wrote: »
    The much maligned COMREG provide a really neat map viewer for towers.

This map shows the local of cell towers.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

Click on the tower and it shows the supplier and what service (GSM, 4g) is provided. On some towers it also has a radiation report which shows what frequencies are transmitted.

Not bad for regulator.!

This isnt news...

This isnt news...

Posted in the wrong thread I think.

Advertisement