Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish channel problem

Options
  • 26-11-2016 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all!
    I just bought a new TV with Tuner Irish Digital Ready & Irish Digital Ready HD integrated and I didn't get how to setup it.
    My apartment has only the internet socket and with the simple connection to it, TV doesn't work.
    Do I need a TV tuner decoder as well?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

If you want to use the TV's integrated DVB-T (digital terrestrial) tuner, you'll need a connection to an aerial that can pick up & deliver the DVB-T transmissions at sufficient strength & quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Steve Vancouver

Thanks. I was just reading that on the saorview website and I think it's a waste of money for 2 or 3 channels.
    Also I was wondering if, with this new TV but with no chance to connect to the Irish channels, do I need to pay the Tv License as well?
    I know that it is a silly question but I'm good with netflix and my ps3 and it doesn't make sense to pay a tax for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

Also I was wondering if, with this new TV but with no chance to connect to the Irish channels, do I need to pay the Tv License as well?

Under existing legislation you must have a current TV licence in order to possess a TV set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I was just reading that on the saorview website and I think it's a waste of money for 2 or 3 channels.

A set-top aerial might work ok, I got reasonable results from 1 of these in the past, though I had in my favour the fact I was on a 3rd floor, & could put it in a window facing the transmitter.

I have also used a small aerial intended for outdoor use, & indoor versions with these more directional qualities, & hence signal gain, are available e.g. here, & here. The latter there certainly being the most I'd spend on one of these types of aerials.

Got it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks. I was just reading that on the saorview website and I think it's a waste of money for 2 or 3 channels.

A wate of money to buy an aerial once to receive Saorview?

RTE 1 HD
    RTE 2 HD
    TV3
    3e
    TG4
    UTV Ireland
    RTE Junior
    RTE News Now
    RTE 1+1

as well as a number of radio channels.
    I know that it is a silly question but I'm good with netflix and my ps3 and it doesn't make sense to pay a tax for nothing!

Yes you need a TV licence whether or not you ever use the TV for any purpose.
    Possession means a requirement for a licence.

Thanks John.. TV license already paid but I won't setup anything in order to watch Irish channels.

Advertisement