Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Security Role

Options
  • 26-11-2016 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭

If anyone is interested in a security role covering Firewalls/VPN, IPS, WAF, DDoS, Email Security, EndPoint Security then let me know.

It is an opportunity to work for a global vendor.

Ideally should have pre-sales / customer facing experience.

Comments

wandererz wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in a security role covering Firewalls/VPN, IPS, WAF, DDoS, Email Security, EndPoint Security then let me know.

It is an opportunity to work for a global vendor.

Ideally should have pre-sales / customer facing experience.

Aaaand you've just lost the attention of anyone interested in network security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wandererz

Aaaand you've just lost the attention of anyone interested in network security.

Really?

One needs to be able to easily explain what one is speaking about and be able to get across ones ideas in a clear and concise manner that other people can understand and without pre-formed expectations.

It helps if one has had experience conveying those across in one-to-one roles.
    If not, then no biggy, one can learn in time and with association amongst team mates.

"customer-facing" also means relating to and getting your opinions and ideas across to upper management.
    The generally accepted view is that IT and IT Security are there to assist and drive the business forward rather than vice versa. Business does not exist to drive the needs of IT people. Business exists to generate revenue and IT supports that goal. Effective communication is key to that.
    One needs to be able to get ones viewpoint across without sounding like an arrogant asshole.
    That's where the pre-sales & customer facing bits come in. Perhaps that's the wrong request but it will suffice for the moment.

No need to go off the deep end. If it's not of interest to you, go off and have a vape, a pint, a coffee, a tea, a cupcake or something, comment on another thread. Let others pursue what they want to and progress their careers in whatever way they can.

It's a job and a chance at progression for some people for pete's sake!!

Anger, violence, aggression and/or spurious comments are not called for.

Not many people in general will post industry related jobs on this forum.

The mind boggles.

This isn't the AH thread. Go back there for that kind of stuff.

There is an abundance of low level customer service and pre-sales jobs out there at the moment masquerading as Network Security jobs.

In your three line synopsis of the roles, pre-sales and customer service take up one line so most people reading it, particularly if they have been stung in the past are going to assume a third of the job minimum is pre-sales or customer service.

In your follow up comment you go:
    It's a job and a chance at progression for some people for pete's sake!!

That also tells me its a fairly low level job. Im sure you are aware that Network/Information Security in Ireland is booming at the minute, to the point that companies are hiring from other countries because they can't find enough people in Ireland to man their SOCs and security teams.

Most people who work in network/information security are fully aware of the need of customer service skills and the ability to explain complicated technological jargon in a way your average IT manager or CFO will understand. Thats par for the course.

I'm sorry if you took offense to my comment but at no point was I angry, aggressive or violent.

Why don't you explain in a bit more detail what the job entails and you might get some more interest.

Advertisement