Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Referees - who employs them/fitness etc?

Options
  • 25-11-2016 9:54pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't think this has been done that I can remember but I was watching the games tonight and got to wondering about rugby referees and who employs them and what sort of fitness regime/training they do?

So if you take refs from the PRO12 up, I presume there are different grades, with pro12 being one, champions cup/the Rugby Cup in the SH being the next and international ref being the higher level.

Who are the refs employed by? Is it the different unions in each country?

Also what sort of criteria would be in place for the likes of these refs in terms of fitness? Would they have proscribed levels they have to maintain and ongoing assessment of that fitness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

This should give you an idea of the structures of refereeing within Ireland. Most other nations will have a similar set up. Those at IPAS level are often young talent who have an obvious flare for the art of reffing and are coached and accelerated accordingly to make the most of their talents.

RefereeingPathway.jpg

An idea of the fitness levels asked of can be seen on links from this page. Referees need a considerable blend of explosive speed and long distance endurance level as they can't be subbed and they are required to make level headed rational calls for up to 2 hours. It sounds easy and it is in some respects; for others it is torture as it asks a lot of new questions of you and it tests you in different ways physically to playing rugby. Nutrition and diet isn't quite as stiff as it is for players but it still has to be logged and noted; weights aren't as required for obvious reasons.

http://www.arlb.ie/?page_id=1546

As regards who employs them, well they are still nominally amateur or self employed insofar as they aren't employed directly to referee game but they are appointed by the respective unions as being competent to referee at desired levels. That said, almost all top level referees will hold down some sort of officer post within their unions. Quite often these roles are within referee recruitment and/or development but it isn't quite a given and there are a few referees covering pro games who hold down regular employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Stheno wrote: »
    I don't think this has been done that I can remember but I was watching the games tonight and got to wondering about rugby referees and who employs them and what sort of fitness regime/training they do?

So if you take refs from the PRO12 up, I presume there are different grades, with pro12 being one, champions cup/the Rugby Cup in the SH being the next and international ref being the higher level.

Who are the refs employed by? Is it the different unions in each country?

Also what sort of criteria would be in place for the likes of these refs in terms of fitness? Would they have proscribed levels they have to maintain and ongoing assessment of that fitness?
    Referees are appointed by the unions/competition organisers. They will be employed primarily by the unions. Nigel Owens is one of 3 pro refs employed by WRU.
    IRFU have a referees department. Dave McHugh is head of that. There is a ref development manager/officer in each province and they help coach and develop refs in their province.
    Of course there is levels of fitness etc to be maintained. And there is plenty of assessment of fitness.
    This should give you an idea of the structures of refereeing within Ireland. Most other nations will have a similar set up. Those at IPAS level are often young talent who have an obvious flare for the art of reffing and are coached and accelerated accordingly to make the most of their talents.

RefereeingPathway.jpg

An idea of the fitness levels asked of can be seen on links from this page. Referees need a considerable blend of explosive speed and long distance endurance level as they can't be subbed and they are required to make level headed rational calls for up to 2 hours. It sounds easy and it is in some respects; for others it is torture as it asks a lot of new questions of you and it tests you in different ways physically to playing rugby. Nutrition and diet isn't quite as stiff as it is for players but it still has to be logged and noted; weights aren't as required for obvious reasons.

http://www.arlb.ie/?page_id=1546

As regards who employs them, well they are still nominally amateur or self employed insofar as they aren't employed directly to referee game but they are appointed by the respective unions as being competent to referee at desired levels. That said, almost all top level referees will hold down some sort of officer post within their unions. Quite often these roles are within referee recruitment and/or development but it isn't quite a given and there are a few referees covering pro games who hold down regular employment.
    There is also several levels of refs who may go on to IPAS within each province who will be receiving extra training and workshops within development groups. They will be accelerated in hope they make it to IPAS soon enough as well.

Advertisement