Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We are matching competitor's prices"

Options
  • 25-11-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

I've seen this statement as well as "We will match any price you get" during the sales and other times of the year & I don't get it. Is this supposed to convince me to buy from you rather than them? What's the point? You're supposed to beat your competitor's prices

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It's price fixing. Totes illegal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

this crap really anoys me.
    basically they are saying that they are happy to sell at the lower price but are hoping to screw you out of the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

85% of shoppers won't check competitive prices and of the 15% that do, very few would claim the difference.

So it sounds good, but in reality it costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It's price fixing. Totes illegal too.

How is it price fixing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

OU812 wrote: »
    I've seen this statement as well as "We will match any price you get" during the sales and other times of the year & I don't get it. Is this supposed to convince me to buy from you rather than them? What's the point? You're supposed to beat your competitor's prices

Irked me as well.

Definitely not as iconic as, 'Never knowingly undersold' :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

lot of it is a con also.

Take identical TVs for sale in two shops.

Slight variation in model number for shipping purposes, but TV has exact same specs, etc.

They wont match price because the model number difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's just a scam

The trick is that if you go in to say you can buy a TV cheaper elsewhere they'll say "but that's a UXE3600-34xyz1 and ours is a UXE3600-34xyz2, different models "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's just a scam

The trick is that if you go in to say you can buy a TV cheaper elsewhere they'll say "but that's a UXE3600-34xyz1 and ours is a UXE3600-34xyz2, different models "

A couple of years ago I managed to get a 2Tb hard drive from Curry's about €100 off their marked price, cheaper than the 1Tb version in the store. Argos were selling it at the stupid low price at the time, either by pricing error or because there was literally only 1 showing up in the country. There was no getting out of it for them.

Advertisement