Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW News - Cork Confirms It’s The Real Capital When It Comes To Suicide

Options
  • 25-11-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of people on the Waterford Whispers site, as well as Facebook, are upset and outraged at the latest WW article, stating that they've crossed the line. Many quotes of "Gone too far", "Not funny", or "Insensitive" are to be found.

I will admit that the title took me by surprise and spiked my emotions at first glance, but after taking a moment and actually reading the article, I think as a piece of satire on a very sensitive issue, it hits the spot.

Satire is not meant to simply be humourous, but to challenge preconceptions and question the norm.

From my stand point, I hadn't known that Cork had double the rate of suicide to the rest of Ireland. I think its becoming increasingly more documented how under resourced we are with regards to mental health in this country, and pieces like this from WW, while hard hitting, are a step towards getting the issue into light and perhaps going a small way towards resolving it.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Article found here: http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/11/24/cork-confirms-its-the-real-capital-when-it-comes-to-suicide/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

They're usually funny but that is really just not.

Definitely crossed a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Maybe they are actually highlighting an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

At first the title appears shocking and tasteless. But the article itself really highlights in a satirical way just how bad things are in Cork in terms of suicide stats, how inadequate support services are and how unmotivated and uneducated politicians are to tackle the issue.

It may initially annoy and offend a lot of people but at least it gets us talking about something we should all be talking more about.

I view satire as a form of expression to make us think. This article, while close to the bone, is I'm guessing supposed to make you wonder about lack of resources in place for suicide prevention. So instead of being outraged at the writer that outrage should be directed towards the powers that be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I think they made it very clear that they weren't mocking victims of suicide or their families. Or Cork people, for that matter.

There have been WWN articles before on controversial subjects that I thought really missed the mark, but this one seemed much better than that to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

They're only offended because it's Waterford taking the ps.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hundreds of lives destroyed in two weeks is no laughing matter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The article takes aim at the poor Government response to the issue, it is not making fun of suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Joe

I highly doubt it is double the national average, I'm quite confident that is a falsehood. I also don't think the huge levels of suicide in Ireland are down to lack of suicide prevention services. I think it is more down to culture and the sick place Irish society is these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A storm in a tea cup and yet another example of how the internet gives a voice to those that are easily offended.

To anyone with a semblence of intelligence, the satire in the article clearly does two things, highlights an issue and does so in a lighthearted fashion. Lately it seems you can't say jack**** about anything. Sick of it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

At first the title appears shocking and tasteless. But the article itself really highlights in a satirical way just how bad things are in Cork in terms of suicide stats, how inadequate support services are and how unmotivated and uneducated politicians are to tackle the issue.

It may initially annoy and offend a lot of people but at least it gets us talking about something we should all be talking more about.

Yeah this is my view on it as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Hundreds of lives destroyed in two weeks is no laughing matter

I agree, but I don't think any right minded person would laugh at what is in the article. Does it hit near a nerve? Yes. But, the overall message is trying to bring attention to a serious matter, I don't think whomever in WWN wrote that with the intention of it being viewed as comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I think it's a great "article".

If you read it for the message it's trying to convey then I think it hits the nail on the absolute head. There is insufficient resources being directed to suicide awareness and prevention,nationally and particularly in Cork where suicide rates are apparently out in front. It goes on to opine that the government pays the topic lip service and not invest in a meaningful way.

The means of delivery of the message is different to what you might normally expect in a "serious" article or opinion piece but that doesn't undermine the core message. It is very useful to express messages in different ways and to different audiences.

Those offended by the piece either haven't looked between the lines to get the message and understand what the article is trying to deliver, or are just looking to be offended, as so many seem to work at on a full time basis these days.

That said, I don't believe the article will be any sort of serious catalyst for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's no line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It reads like a real news article. There's no satire whatsoever in it. That's what's not funny about it. Then again I've never seen anything funny about any of their articles and have always thought they were a rip off of The Onion, which isn't remotely funny either, so maybe I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's no line

And that site is never usually funny.

The article is probably as close to genuine satire as they've ever managed over the past few years.

Has professional fcuk-up Connor Cusack weighed in yet??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

Depressed Cork people should move to Waterford City, no suicides there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Satire doesn't always have to be humerous. It's a way of making us think about the world around us in an exaggerated kind of way. Constructive social criticism is what it's mainly used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It needs to be highlighted and this is a way of doing it so I think they are 100% right to do it. Seems one of the main ways to get something to 'work' online is by getting the people who are constantly on the look out to be enraged 'triggered'.

Put it this way, this thread started recently attracted a total of 12 posts, :(487 deaths by suicide recorded in 2013. And nobody cared enough to post about it, it's just not very 'sexy'. This thread already has more posts. Start a thread about nearly anything else and it'll get more posts! Actually talking about suicide in anyway is still taboo, being offended is certainly not, so if WWN has been able to marry the two here and highlight an issue that needs to be highlighted more than nearly any other issue, then I think they've done a great job in helping a worthy cause. :)

• Advertisement

It needs to be highlighted and this is a way of doing it so I think they are 100% right to do it. Seems one of the main ways to get something to 'work' online is by getting the people who are constantly on the look out to be enraged 'triggered'.

Put it this way, this thread started recently attracted a total of 12 posts, :(487 deaths by suicide recorded in 2013. And nobody cared enough to post about it, it's just not very 'sexy'. This thread already has more posts. Start a thread about nearly anything else and it'll get more posts! Actually talking about suicide in anyway is still taboo, being offended is certainly not, so if WWN has been able to marry the two here and highlight an issue that needs to be highlighted more than nearly any other issue, then I think they've done a great job in helping a worthy cause. :)

I did something related to suicide in the "creative" field. Finished me off. Once its direct, people get cowardly. But if its done via a newspaper article, they will be all full of talk and opinion. I fully support WWN here, but Im aware of the criticism they are garnering. My contribution wasn't satire, it was more direct. Anyway, glad its being discussed. Suicide entered my life at 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I don't particularly like it, but I'm not offended by it. Anything that helps highlight the issues can only be helpful in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Ah the old "It's not satire if I don't find it funny" backlash argument.

Maybe instead of getting upset that WWN would dare to satirise our utterly failed approach to suicide prevention, we could get upset at ourselves as a nation for letting it get that way and genuinely try to improve things? Oh that won't get them easy Facebook likes? Ah, well carry on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Maybe they are actually highlighting an issue.

Exactly. They have highlighted other issues in the past. Click bait title with good intentions.
    It's in no way a slight on those affected by suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Knex. wrote: »
    A lot of people on the Waterford Whispers site, as well as Facebook, are upset and outraged at the latest WW article, stating that they've crossed the line. Many quotes of "Gone too far", "Not funny", or "Insensitive" are to be found.
    Those people make me want to commit suicide.
    maudgonner wrote: »
    I think they made it very clear that they weren't mocking victims of suicide or their families. Or Cork people, for that matter.
    Nah, I think they are mocking the Cork inferiority complex somewhat. Which is great. It needs to be mocked. Constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I've seen it online. The title appears to be a bit crass but the article is very well written and has some very valid points.

Looking at some of the comments it appears that suicide is a topic that people prefer to sweep under the carpet and have difficulty discussing or reading about or maybe they are a bit thick that they don't understand the article that it went over their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I don't read WW but satire isn't just about humour. It can be deadly serious too and provided they weren't mocking those who've committed suicide or their families, I'm all for a provocative title that will stimulate debate. The sensitive approach has already been tried and it isn't working. Any and all angles must be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Waterford Whispers is satire. Satire doesn't need to conform to anyone's views on decency.

Far more worrying is actual journalists and media outlets using sensationalist terms like 'suicide cluster' to describe these things. While ignoring experts and the advice they give regarding the reporting of such things.

http://www.samaritans.org/sites/default/files/kcfinder/files/press/Samaritans%20Ireland%20media%20factsheet%20-%20broadcast%20media.pdf

That shit happens all the time and nobody bats an eyelid. It's a sad state of affairs when people are more offended or distraught by a piece of satire than they are about the things actually happening around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Ah the old "It's not satire if I don't find it funny" backlash argument.

Maybe instead of getting upset that WWN would dare to satirise our utterly failed approach to suicide prevention, we could get upset at ourselves as a nation for letting it get that way and genuinely try to improve things? Oh that won't get them easy Facebook likes? Ah, well carry on then.
    What do you think should be done to improve things?

• Advertisement

Flimpson wrote: »
    What do you think should be done to improve things?

Please tell us what you think should be done??

Advertisement