Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NY Times article on Women in Prison

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

For some reason, the app wouldn't let me post this and I had to come into the browser version of boards. Illuminati confirmed
    Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.
    I see what you're saying. Traditionalists would say "but men don't raise children". The impact of any or both parents being incarcerated has a profound impact on a child. Perhaps articles such as this fail to mention the offspring of the prisoners because it humanises the person to the extent that people relate, and feel uncomfortable relating to someone who would break the law. Not my preference, as I think rehabilitation should be the purpose of jail. But it's pretty evident that prison is perceived as the end of the road for anyone who ends up there, for many very sheltered individuals. It's tragic.

1127-web-KRISTOF-300.png
    I find this graphic intriguing. Look at the more fundamentally religious countries, all towards the bottom. My interpretation of this is that women are incarcerated at a rate directly proportional to how oppressed the dregs of society are, and how willing they are to just accept their lot. I dunno. Please correct me. This is tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

For some reason, the app wouldn't let me post this and I had to come into the browser version of boards. Illuminati confirmed

I see what you're saying. Traditionalists would say "but men don't raise children". The impact of any or both parents being incarcerated has a profound impact on a child. Perhaps articles such as this fail to mention the offspring of the prisoners because it humanises the person to the extent that people relate, and feel uncomfortable relating to someone who would break the law. Not my preference, as I think rehabilitation should be the purpose of jail. But it's pretty evident that prison is perceived as the end of the road for anyone who ends up there, for many very sheltered individuals. It's tragic.

1127-web-KRISTOF-300.png
    I find this graphic intriguing. Look at the more fundamentally religious countries, all towards the bottom. My interpretation of this is that women are incarcerated at a rate directly proportional to how oppressed the dregs of society are, and how willing they are to just accept their lot. I dunno. Please correct me. This is tragic.

You need to look at the article to see the stats on the graph.

Anyway, in answer to your point.

Its not a percentage, its a per population graph.

The incarceration rate in India, Pakistan etc is much lower than in the United States and other developed countries. That's true for both men and women.

Permabear wrote: »

Its not about men in prison, its about women in prison.

And you are right, but the issue there is probably with the journalists who write about men in prison.

The article is very sad, it speaks to a society which almost appears broken beyond repair......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

As a man and a parent, I can still understand the fact that so many of these women are single parents. Which says enough about how in general, men are less likely to be the parent/care enough, and feel the pain of separation.

Interesting harsh comment below the article about how these women are adults and made many bad choices. Talk about tough love!

donaghs wrote: »
    As a man and a parent, I can still understand the fact that so many of these women are single parents. Which says enough about how in general, men are less likely to be the parent/care enough, and feel the pain of separation.

Interesting harsh comment below the article about how these women are adults and made many bad choices. Talk about tough love!

Its a way of saying "not my problem" that doesn't sound so selfish.....

Not my problem = Its their own fault, they made bad choices.

The piece about the last woman is absolutely tragic, incidentally it doesn't even mention whether she is a mother or not, but its just sounds like a society that has completely broken down.

Fair enough its no anarchy.

But I would say the economic model has collapsed for large parts of the United States.

Particularly that Appalachian belt on the East Coast.

Close to 20% of population living in Trailer Parks in these states.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/hou_per_of_hou_uni_tha_are_mob_hom-housing-percent-units-mobile-homes

Incarceration rates that are 20 times higher than what we have here in Ireland.

Incarceration rates in the Black population that are 60 times higher than what we have in Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_incarceration_and_correctional_supervision_rate

A monster drug problem, in particular Meth, in these states.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/07/meth-states_n_4057372.html

High unemployment, low wages.

Per Capital Income at $22k in Arkansas, Mississippi, West Virginia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income#States_ranked_by_median_household_income

I wouldn't compare it to Somalia.

More like Greece or Portugal for economy, and like Russia for law and order.

Advertisement