Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people change cash at foreign exchange desks when it's usually way cheaper to

Options
  • 25-11-2016 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

As in the title, why do people do this? I'm talking especially about desks in airports which are notorious ripoffs, yet I've often seen people bring hundreds of euro to exchange, when their bank would offer them a way fairer exchange rate had they just used an ATM, plus less commission.

I've only ever used these desks if I have a tiny bit of currency left so I can convert it into euro, even if it will be a crap exchange rate, it's better than just having the remaining currency lying around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Convenience I'd say more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I do it to annoy you

is it working?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

thelad95 wrote: »
    As in the title, why do people do this? I'm talking especially about desks in airports which are notorious ripoffs, yet I've often seen people bring hundreds of euro to exchange, when their bank would offer them a way fairer exchange rate had they just used an ATM, plus less commission.

I've only ever used these desks if I have a tiny bit of currency left so I can convert it into euro, even if it will be a crap exchange rate, it's better than just having the remaining currency lying around.

It can be time consuming to go to the bank I guess when the lunch queues take forever. I do it the odd time for the convenience or just take my money out over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You'd be surprised at the shenanigans that go on in a Bureau De Change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Because the bank doesn't stock the currency I need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement