Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choice of Hospital

Options
  • 24-11-2016 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

The good lady is expecting and due late May/early June.
    I wanted to ask some advice on her part though. We live in North County Dublin and so far she's been going to the hospital in Drogheda. She's a little concerned though as for some of the tests that she wants to have, they don't do and she'll need to go to another hospital in Dublin. Upon reading about the 'pregnancy department' in the hospital it's thrown up some less than positive recent news articles.

So I guess her/our question really is- is it a place you'd have confidence in or is there a hospital in Dublin than you'd recommended instead?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I know plenty of people who have had good experiences in olol and some that have had bad ones. Equally I have had good and bad experiences in the rotunda and know people who have had good and bad experiences in both holles street and the coombe. If she's happy t with the care in olol so far I'd say stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I would safely say that there is not a single hospital in the country where you won't get at least a few mothers with terrible experiences. I had one in Cavan, but one equally amazing one. Giving birth is hard and a lot can go wrong and is bound to on occasion. My sister has done several of her midwifery placements in Drogheda and she thinks its fabulous, if that's any help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When we lived in North Dublin completely ruled out Drogheda hospital,it came down to Daisy Hill or Holles St and Holles St was beside work.
    Personally I would avoid Drogheda for maternity care but I know people that went private there and were very happy ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You'll hear good, bad and everything in between about every hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I had my first baby in OLOL in 2014 and will be having this baby there too. As other posters have said, you hear good and bad stories about every department in every hospital. I have always found the maternity care in OLOL to be great. I'm going public as I'm doing the MLU. If your wife is happy with her care thus far, then I wouldn't see any reason to change based on a google search. If she has concerns, I would raise them with the hospital staff, they are very approachable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

I've had both of mine public in drogheda and they were fantastic both times, wouldn't have a bad word to say about them at all. The MLU is fab if you can get in there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Go with somewhere close to your home or workplace. I chose the Rotunda as I work 2 minutes away, and it was a godsend for the more frequent appointments towards the end.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dolbert wrote: »
    Go with somewhere close to your home or workplace. I chose the Rotunda as I work 2 minutes away, and it was a godsend for the more frequent appointments towards the end.

I'd second this. I had the choice of 3 hospitals - one was 10 minutes walk, one was 10 minutes drive and one was 10 minutes by train all from home with access to convenient public transport to work. I went with the first one and I regret nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We live in North County Dublin and went with the Rotunda.It was an equidistant drive to Drogheda amd the Rotunda, so the Rotunda won hands down.Didn't bother with Holles St because I didn't see the point of driving past a maternity hospital (Rotunda) to get to a maternity hospital.We had a great experience with both babies, but as others have said, there's no guarantee.If she needs tests they don't do in Drogheda, then I guess you need to look at one of the Dublin hospitals (assuming you're in NCD) and really just decide which suits you best.

Advertisement