Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Virgin offer worth it

Options
  • 24-11-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

As an existing Virgin Media customer, you can get our Loyalty Unlimited Plan for just €10 a month for 8 months and just €25 a month after that.
    And, with a 30 day contract you can hook up fearlessly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Got this in my email earlier.

402357.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

torrevieja wrote: »
    As an existing Virgin Media customer, you can get our Loyalty Unlimited Plan for just €10 a month for 8 months and just €25 a month after that.
    And, with a 30 day contract you can hook up fearlessly.

For the first 8 months it is anyway. Then switch if you can get a cheaper deal elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Before you trigger that "deal" make sure you get all the info about this network.

Here some notes based on my experience:

1.) Your broadband/TV contract will be extended by 12 month if you sign up for this, the 30 day notice is for the mobile connection only.

2.) You can not receive automated SMS messages from several companies (for example for your banking, parcel notifications etc.), see http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057519923

3.) If you port in a number from a MVNO on Three (48/Tesco/Lyca) you might experience that other people on those networks might not be able to call or SMS you. There have been several reports of this happening. I personally had this with Lyca callers.

4.) Data speeds are not the best, they might have unlimited Data (in reality it's a 30 GB fair usage) but the backend is not the best (just like with their broadband for destinations outside the LGI network). Make sure you set your phone to roaming allowed to get the best data speed.

5.) The 4 G offering is limited, the network coverage is not the best "97% coverage for 3G data and 77.8% for 4G data services". Yes, they are using Three as their provider but it looks like they don't have access to the full network.

6.) If you are traveling to the EU/EEA, they charge roaming rates for both receiving and placing calls (no access to inclusive minutes/data), check them out on https://www.virginmedia.ie/pdf/Mobile/Standard_Rates_Online_01.11.2016.pdf

7.) Conditional call forwarding to services like Hullomail will fail due to the way it's implemented on Virgin's side. Their own voicemail service is also implemented differently than with other (central number rather than the 08x5xxx solution).

So price is not always the only thing you should look at, especially when it comes to essential services like mobile phones.

Best is to get a SIM and not port your number over yet, test the network and see if it works for you and only than port the number over.

I used it for a while but gave up on it, too many issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

The same here with the issues, go outside dublin and good luck to using phone.

The only reason I stayed with them was for some reason I got it free for 4 months .

Add in mobile customer care are a joke, telling me to go to other providers, they'll have the same issues and I won't beat their deal.

2.) You can not receive automated SMS messages from several companies (for example for your banking, parcel notifications etc.), see http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057519923

I'm not sure if this is true.
    I am with them on the 15e plan and I get them no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I'm not sure if this is true.
    I am with them on the 15e plan and I get them no problem.

It will depend on who the provider is that the sender is using. If they are using Phonovation than the chance are that the SMS is not going to come through.

So you might be fine with yours, but others might not be with theirs, which is why I say, test it before you port in your number and discover you have issues.

Advertisement