Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like the Z3 Compact, but better!

Options
  • 24-11-2016 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I've had my Sony Z3 Compact for about 2 years now and disappointingly, it might be time to upgrade it. I was hoping it would last a lot longer but it's having a few problems, the waterproof seal for usb charging has been replaced already and needs to be replaced again now, the notification menu doesn't slide down properly and you can only slide it down from one corner on the top of the screen and the GPS isn't working properly either and it keeps losing signal and messing with my journeys (which is an essential feature for my job).

So I'm looking for today's Z3 Compact successor, so same size, same or better battery life (Z3 compact battery life was great!) and then everything else I'm expecting to be better with tech improvements over the last 2 years, so better camera, more ram, memory, storage etc?

Would appreciate any suggestions. I've no ties to any brand and to be honest, the one with the least bloatware will have a slight preference for me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

iPhone SE.

That's what I upgraded to from the Sony Z3C and I love it.

Same size, roughly similar battery. Much better build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

So you want a Z3 compact successor with a "better camera, more ram, memory" , surely the Xperia X compact fits the bill no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

projectgtr wrote: »
    So you want a Z3 compact successor with a "better camera, more ram, memory" , surely the Xperia X compact fits the bill no?

Another vote from me for the X Compact. I also considered the iPhone se for my wife but the cost and the lack of storage (16gb on standard model or loadsa money more for excessive 64gb) turned us off.

The X Compact is really nice to use, fingerprint scanner is great, you have 32gb of built-in storage with additional SD card if you need it. Camera is genuinely very good. The 'weak' processor is apparently better performance wise than last years snapdragon 810 and is only driving a 720p screen. Finally, the battery is really good. Not sure if it quite matches the legendary battery of the Z3 compact but certainly it's miles better than the z5 and most other handsets.

Don't think you'd regret the x compact, and since you'd be staying with Android you wouldn't have to pay for a bunch of apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the input everyone.

Yes, basically looking for a Z3 compact successor. To be honest, the Z3 is all I need and I was extremely happy with it until it's started messing up on me.

Will definitely be staying with android. I'm a bit apprehensive about going with Sony again. Is there anything the Z3 scores points over the X Compact, other than battery life, or is the X Compact better in all other regards?

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the input everyone.

Yes, basically looking for a Z3 compact successor. To be honest, the Z3 is all I need and I was extremely happy with it until it's started messing up on me.

Will definitely be staying with android. I'm a bit apprehensive about going with Sony again. Is there anything the Z3 scores points over the X Compact, other than battery life, or is the X Compact better in all other regards?

The X Compact is not waterproof, at least officially. In Japan it is rated as such and appears to be the exact same device as marketed here. Not sure if that matters. But at least with the X Compact there are no covers on the ports.

Pop into a phone shop and see what you think of it?

• Advertisement

Aw no way, the waterproof definitely matters, have dropped my Z3 down the toilet already and there's been a few other instances where I've been glad of the feature too. So in Japan is it promoted the same way the Z3 was with underwater photos etc, or just has an IP rating?

How does the Z5 compact stack up? Or are there any other compact size phones from other manufacturers that would be flagship quality I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Google Pixel? Probably a bit bigger than Z3c, but not massive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Google Pixel? Probably a bit bigger than Z3c, but not massive either.

Will have a look, thanks, definitely like the idea of a Google phone, hopefully no bloatware? :)

EDIT: Not water or dust proof, only slightly resistant unfortunately ;(
    xtal191 wrote: »

If it was waterproof, I probably would go for it ;(

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Aw no way, the waterproof definitely matters, have dropped my Z3 down the toilet already and there's been a few other instances where I've been glad of the feature too. So in Japan is it promoted the same way the Z3 was with underwater photos etc, or just has an IP rating?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r02MPIZWyds

Very scientific test above of the waterproofing of the x compact, seems that it is definitely resistant to a bit of water but Sony are no longer promoting this aspect of their phones for whatever reason.

With regards the z5 compact, compared to the X Compact it wouldn't have the best battery life, runs hot and is more fragile (glass sandwich) but it does have the advantage of being officially waterproof and a little cheaper.

Thanks again for the replies folks. I've been weighing up what's out there and it doesn't seem like there's anything out there that is actually better in every aspect than the Z3 Compact.

The Z3 still seems like it boasts the longest standby time out of all the phones I've been comparing.

It also has MHL out on the usb charging which a lot of others don't :(

Then there is the official water and dust proof rating.

The only thing I don't like about the Sony phone is the bloatware and I'm really disappointed that my Z3 is ****ed after only 2 years, and it's actually only about 26 months, I believe within 24 months you get a 2 year EU warranty for electronics as standard in the EU?

With all this in mind, I'm considering if I will sacrifice the compact size and go for something different. So my main requirements are:

As compact as possible
    Waterproof
    Dust Proof
    Good shock absorbtion
    Great battery life
    No bloatware

I've been looking at the Cat S60 and the Samsung Active 7, both seem good from what I can see. Here's comparing the Z3 to the X to the Samsung Active 7: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6538&idPhone2=8292&idPhone3=8004

and then here's a link to the Cat S60: http://www.gsmarena.com/cat_s60-7928.php

They all seem to have faster processors and more RAM etc than the Z3, but all seem to be lacking one or two things that stops them from being a complete successor.

Advertisement