Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Kilrush

Options
  • 24-11-2016 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

May be moving to kilrush shortly. What's the town like? Any employment casual or otherwise?
    Any activities for locals? Gym? I'm not into the pub scene.

I'd appreciate feedback from local or semi locals. I'm currently couch surfing in ennis but cannot find accommodation for myself. It's a bad situation. :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Matt.ie wrote: »
    May be moving to kilrush shortly. What's the town like? Any employment casual or otherwise?
    Any activities for locals? Gym? I'm not into the pub scene.

I'd appreciate feedback from local or semi locals. I'm currently couch surfing in ennis but cannot find accommodation for myself. It's a bad situation. :-(

Town is okay, not much to do, no real gym, little employment although not too hard to find. Best advice is to not spend too much of your free time in the town as there's very little to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There is a Gym. It's on the Ennis Rd. My wife uses it. Tesco and Super Valu could be looking for a few extra staff in the lead up to Christmas. Loads of contractors currently employing staff in Moneypoint. Hertel, Glenfield, APC are the main ones. Trump International, Doonbeg often take on temporary staff if needed also.

finbarrk wrote: »
    There is a Gym. It's on the Ennis Rd. My wife uses it. Tesco and Super Valu could be looking for a few extra staff in the lead up to Christmas. Loads of contractors currently employing staff in Moneypoint. Hertel, Glenfield, APC are the main ones. Trump International, Doonbeg often take on temporary staff if needed also.

Is the "gym" not just a fitness programme at set times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

Ok,good stuff. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Did you end up moving and if so how did you find it?

• Advertisement

hi,yeah i moved..... the natives are a lot more civilised than i had imagined. :D

the town looks really,really well with all the christmas lights up. it has great shops and of course the aldi,supervalu an tesco.it has plenty butchers a couple of nice bars and i ate in one so far,crottys......food was excellent. the marina is great and business appear to be doing ok.

so far, i am very happy and am settling in well. thanks for asking.

Business has picked up massively in recent times, this has been ever further inflated due to Christmas.

the buisness werent best pleased with the traffic warden,or so i was lead to understand. a blind eye is turned to the street parking times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Someone actually put him in a refuse bin one time I'm fairly sure.... the galleon is a nice bar in cappa

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Takingiteasy

Hi
    Sorry to bring up old post.

I too have a job opportunity in West Clare and plan to purchase and live in Kilrush, Co. Clare.
    But I have been warned by some that Kilrush has serious Social issues and not a great place to live.

I'm just looking for more opinions - Is it safe? Is it a nice place to live? Are there social issues that will impact ordinary peoples lives in Kilrush?

I know historically it was not great - but according to media reports - things have improved greatly.

I appreciate all responses.

Many thanks,
    Brian

• Advertisement

Hi
    Sorry to bring up old post.

I too have a job opportunity in West Clare and plan to purchase and live in Kilrush, Co. Clare.
    But I have been warned by some that Kilrush has serious Social issues and not a great place to live.

I'm just looking for more opinions - Is it safe? Is it a nice place to live? Are there social issues that will impact ordinary peoples lives in Kilrush?

I know historically it was not great - but according to media reports - things have improved greatly.

I appreciate all responses.

Many thanks,
    Brian

It's not unsafe, certainly wouldn't feel worse walking down the street than you would in any city or large town.

For the size of the town, there is alot of people with addiction issues roaming the street. However, there is very little trouble for people outside of these groups. Worst you come across is being asked for a fag or a few euro, and a simple no will suffice. Good supermarkets in the town, nightlife isn't great, most pubs are quiet (quiet pubs don't have trouble).

Only real issue I've seen is valuables being stolen from cars, so ensure your car is locked and without valuables and you should be fine. It's a nice-looking town with character overall, but you will hear the locals complain alot.

Thanks JCX BXC,
    Its good to hear that there is very little trouble in the town.
    You are right about the pubs - I stayed in the town a night in April and visited 3 pubs - only eight people out. And as you said - no trouble in quiet pubs.

I do like that there are groups such as tidy towns etc... looking to make things better.

Tidy towns do a great job around the town, rubbish always being cleared and everything always being tidied.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Morning, I don't live in Kilrush but i'm about 20 min Drive away. We moved west from Dublin about 4 years ago now and we love it. My Wife is from the West clare and she had told me stories regarding Kilrush but anytime i've been out there or when i wander around at the weekends i never see anything that you wouldn't see in most other towns around the country.

I love going into Kilrush, its such a pretty town and while it doesn't have everything, it does have charm and character and IMO has the potential to be similar to the likes of Kinsale, Westport etc. Since i have moved down i've noticed a few more business open up and a few folks moving back from Dublin Galway etc

I love walking long the harbour and coast line around Cappa and then grabbing a cup of tea afterwards and sitting my the marina. The Shannon estuary drive is nice. The farmers market if i can get to it. I work in Limerick and can work from home but since the digital hub opened in the town, ill often drive in and work from there so i can get nice lunch coffees etc.

Thanks oppiuy,
    Its good to get feedback from those that know the area.

I can see it has plenty of potential - I only hope it is realised and not wasted by drugs and bad press.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭oppiuy

In my opinion it should be a tourist hotspot. I believe there is work going on in the back ground regarding a West Clare green way that would attract footfall but i dont know how long that would take to even get the green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Hi Takingiteasy

Kilrush has good supermarkets and is a tidy size overall.

You're not far from Kilkee, Carrigaholt, Loop Head, Doonbeg (and Doughmore beach if you have dogs or horses to exercise) and Quilty and Miltown aren't too far. Lovely area generally.

The drive to Ennis isn't too bad once you get used to it either!

If I were you, I'd go for it, but that's me.

Thanks David,
    Have a lot to think about next few days to decide to move or not.
    It all sounds fairly positive on the whole, and I agree it is a nice area.

Thanks

Advertisement