Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wemo query

Options
  • 24-11-2016 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Can the wemo plug be controlled from a smartphone using mobile internet. I want to get one for my mother but she doesn't have broadband, she just uses her phone.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lolliedog wrote: »
    Can the wemo plug be controlled from a smartphone using mobile internet. I want to get one for my mother but she doesn't have broadband, she just uses her phone.

No, it requires an internet connection.

Maybe lightwaverf plugs would be better for her so. Using the remote to control it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bk wrote: »

Maybe lightwaverf plugs would be better for her so. Using the remote to control it.

Or a set of inexpensive remote control plugs, usually around €28 for a set of 3 from the likes of Woodies. Can't be controlled from a phone but ideal if all you want is on/off from an armchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Could it work if another phone was a hot spot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Graham wrote: »
    Or a set of inexpensive remote control plugs, usually around €28 for a set of 3 from the likes of Woodies. Can't be controlled from a phone but ideal if all you want is on/off from an armchair.

That is what the lightwaverf sockets with a remote are. Just simple remote control plugs. You have to add the lightwaverf hub to then gain access to them remotely by phone, etc.

The advantage of the LRF setup, is that at least you have the option to upgrade it in future.
    lolliedog wrote: »
    Could it work if another phone was a hot spot.

You could, but I wouldn't, I don't think it would offer good enough reliability. Mobile networks just aren't very reliable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That is what the lightwaverf sockets with a remote are. Just simple remote control plugs. You have to add the lightwaverf hub to then gain access to them remotely by phone, etc.

The advantage of the LRF setup, is that at least you have the option to upgrade it in future.

Interesting, must look at the LRF sockets.

I just got a WiFi - 433MHz bridge to see how far I could get with smart enabling the ultra-cheapy remote plugs mentioned. LRF might be an alternative approach if the prices stack up.

Added:
    Hmmm. Inexpensive enough if you buy them from Amazon rather than Maplin :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement