Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AV receiver recommendation (maybe black friday bargain?)

• 24-11-2016 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a projector and surround sound setup at home, with an Onkyo TX-SR307 at the heart of it. When I bought it I had a satellite receiver, dvd player etc connected to it. That worked fine because the devices all had digital audio out, and I could plumb the sound that way. Now it's set up in a different room, and times have moved on, and I find myself wanting to connect things like chromecasts and kindle fire tv (for kodi and nexflix). Neither have audio out and the receiver doesn't support audio over hdmi - so I'm thinking it's time to replace the AV receiver, for something that will just use the sound through the HDMI. Does that make sense?

I'd like to keep my existing speakers (5 and a subwoofer), but I'm not totally anti getting rid of them. I've never gotten around to fitting the rear ones, and the subwoofer is bulky and there's nowhere obvious to put it.

In summary:

1. Does it make sense at this point to ditch the receiver in favour of one which does audio over hdmi?
    2. If so, can you recommend one that will fit the bill, be reasonably priced (couple of hundred quid), and allow me to keep my existing speakers?
    3. Alternatively, tell me I'm mad and recommend another approach altogether!

I know I'm asking a lot - any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm really out of touch with what's been going on in this area.

Ronan

PS: it would be a bonus if the receiver wasn't a huge lump of a yoke!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you had a look on Adverts.ie ? There are plenty to choose from there though you may have to put up with it being on the bulky side.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks Ken. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled after Christmas for second hand and new options. I'm in no major rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I picked up a really nice Sony DA2400ES AV Amplifier/Tuner on Adverts at a really decent price a few years ago and I still have it.

There are bargains to be had :)

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Having been asked recently to improve the TV sound on a friend's new Smart Samsung,and not spend a lot of money I found it a difficult ask.

As your all aware analogue audio out seems to be a thing of the past,and an AV amp with digital inputs particularly HDMI ARC, can cost thousands. A DAC was an option,and was fine for a while.

The nice folk at Richer Sounds in Belfast did a bit of research and came up with an AV amp,digital input, 50 Watts rms/ channel,remote control,3.1,subwoofer output, headphone output,, phono input( ext preamp reqd).

Price €179. 6 years warranty,an extra €20.

Advertisement