Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker Impedence

Options
  • 24-11-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

An amp I'm considering buying spec's 180W/Ch into 6 ohms. What would the W/Ch be into my 8 ohms speakers?

I've emailed the manufacturer but it can take up to 3 days for a reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Thanks. Does that tell me how much wattage the amp puts into the speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Manufacturer got back to me. It's 135W/Ch into 8 ohms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

endacl wrote: »

I think he's referring to powered speakers and even at that he's totally wrong. The figure he arrived at in his example is the power consumption and not the power output of the amplifiers. Amplifiers are never 100% efficient, I'd estimate about 50% to 70% at best depending on which class they use.

OP - even an 8 ohm speaker isn't exactly 8 ohms, this is just a nominal impedance for comparison purposes and the real impedance depends on the frequency it's measured at.

If the amplifier delivers 180W into 6 ohms then the voltage and current in the circuit can be calculated:

Voltage = Square root of (Watts x Ohms) = square root of (180 x 6) = ~ 33V

Current (I) will be V/R or 33/6 = 5.5A.

Power (W) = VxI = 33 x 5.5 = ~ 180W

For an 8 Ohm load: The voltage swing of the amplifier is taken as the constant so we will use 33V as our figure and get:

I = V/R = 33/8 = ~ 4.1A

Therefore the Power at 8 Ohms would be:

V x I = 33 x 4.1 = 135 Watts !

P.S '~' = approximately. I = current in Amps (A). R = Resistance in Ohms.

Amplifiers are complicated things to calculate for as designs can vary therefore these calculations are at best estimates.

.... now for homework calculate the power at 10 Ohms ;)

Ken

Advertisement