Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garbage dumped on our property

Options
  • 23-11-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

If I'm posting in the wrong place, I apologise, I spent some time trying to find the most appropriate forum but I'm stuck now so here goes.

Late last night, someone dumped garbage in our field down near the road. I actually heard a door slam but I couldn't see anything and only spotted the stuff when I went out this afternoon. We're on a very busy but narrow country road which has been plagued by dumping for the 50 years that we've lived here. We pay our own very expensive waste account whether we put out our rubbish or not AND we got fooled into the pay by weight charge as well so the black bin only goes out once every few months when it's actually full. Frankly, I'm already mad enough about having to pay a standing charge, a pick-up charge and a weight charge so I am NOT prepared to pay for someone else who lacks the civic decency to pay for his own muck. Access to our field was a little harder in the past but we opted to upgrade our septic system a few years back and needed to have easier access for tank cleaning.

This dumping happened once before a few years ago and SDCC told me that it's our problem as it's on our land. Well that's fine for them to say but it means that we're then expected to pay for the collection of waste that is not ours. We provide our own water supply and sewage treatment, we have no streetlighting, no footpaths and no access to public transport without having to drive and park up first. We pay income tax and LPT but have to pay for our own services as well and now as far as the authorities are concerned, the illegally dumped rubbish left on our property......is entirely our problem. Is it just me or does this seem unjust to anyone else and can anyone think of a fair remedy other than also having to pay to have someone else's filth removed? From what I've read so far, if we can't or don't deal with it and it offends the passing public in any way, then we can be prosecuted for that as well. Something stinks and it's more than the rubbish on our property. Any civilized suggestions would be gratefully received, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

Get a pair of rubber gloves and go through the rubbish with a fine tooth comb.
    I've done this a few times with public dumping in our area.
    Over 50% of the time I get a name and address on an envelope, invoice, whatever.
    It's a great feeling when you strike the jackpot :D
    The litter warden takes it from there and the names and fines have always appeared in the paper shortly after.
    If the litter warden won't take the case because it's on private property then I would suggest that it's in your interest to find the bags on the roadside rather than on your property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I had this with a skip a few years ago. Had hired one for rubble disposal and came back to find the contents of someone's garage clean out in it.

So, I got my camera and started poking through to identify where it came from. Sure enough it was a neighbour and they came down in a huge panic when they saw it was being taken seriously and removed the garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Thank you both for taking the trouble to respond, I appreciate it very much. I do understand your suggestion but at the risk of sounding holier than thou, I can't turn around and do the same thing as the piece of pond scum that dumped on us. It goes against everything I feel on the subject and I'd have a hard time dropping to their level. When we moved out here first, there was no garbage collection at all and I remember very well how we managed our waste and then carted it off to the local landfill ourselves. I know that everything is different now, there are so many more people around, money is scarce for lots of us and it's hard to make ends meet but it's the "dog eat dog" behaviour that really grinds me down. I absolutely blame the parasites that dump their problems on us because they're too cheap and morally bankrupt to do the right thing and it's not that they don't have the transport to get to the bring centres because they certainly needed transport to get out here. I primarily blame the local authorities who sold us out to the commercial outfits who seemingly are beyond control and can charge what they like, AND I deeply object to the relentless blaming of ordinary folk for having garbage to deal with in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, the real polluters are the manufacturers who bury us alive in all their damn packaging and leave us to carry the can....again.....and again......:mad: Sorry to rant but it's all getting me down these days. I would go through it all but even if I did find some kind of ID, I don't know what I could really do about it so I think I may plan a late season BBQ and burn the esshaitchonetea out of everything, as usual ;) I wish someone would invent an indestructible blindingly bright light with motion sensor that would then activate CCTV and a siren, not unlike the air raid warnings of WWII and a booming verbal warning to suggest immediate sex and travel!!!!!

Thanks for your patience, I feel a bit better after that. :)

Advertisement