Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Pc

Options
  • 23-11-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Bit of change of plan. Need a new home/small business computer. I have built a gaming computer before for my brother a few years back & bought everything from hardwareversand. But now I'm out of date with processors & pretty much everything else so need advice. I won't need a graphics card but will be running the os from an ssd. Would like a largeish psu. A good monitor & speakers would be nice too.!

1. What is your budget? 500ish but can be more

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Internet, word, excel, accounts program. ( nothing major )

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? WiFi card, cd drive, extra hard drive, new case.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No point on this build

8. How can you pay? Any way at all

9. When are you purchasing? Asap

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pentium G3220 (I think) €70
    Case €60
    300w PSU €50
    8gb RAM €40
    1tb HDD €50
    240gb SSD €80
    B150m board €60
    Total €400

CD drive and WiFi adapter are about 30 quid, should be able to grab a monitor for 70 or 80, May need to look second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'm not sure if hardwareversand are still around anymore. They went under and got picked up by a different company. We have been avoiding them as a few people got burned on Bank Transfers. Now recommending mindfactory.de, overclockers.co.uk, amazon.co.uk/.de, and computeruniverse.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pentium G3220 (I think) €70
    Case €60
    300w PSU €50
    8gb RAM €40
    1tb HDD €50
    240gb SSD €80
    B150m board €60
    Total €400

CD drive and WiFi adapter are about 30 quid, should be able to grab a monitor for 70 or 80, May need to look second hand

Pretty much perfect, the processor you are looking for would be the G4400 or similar, with 8GB DDR4 ram - I'm positive that's what DS meant but just in case you (the OP) got confused, the G3220 is an older CPU using DDR3.

Also some of those allowances are very generous, for this sort of build a case and PSU combined wouldn't be more than around €50-60, more if you have particular demands but broadly €60 would cover it.

I know you said you want a large PSU but unless you plan adding a high end processor and high-end graphics card down the line, it's not really necessary, this PC would literally draw about 120W under intense, sustained load - which is unlikely to ever even happen with those uses.

I'd say you could also ditch the 1TB hard drive and go with a single 500GB SSD overall.
    G4400 €70
    Case €30
    300w PSU €30
    8gb DDR4 RAM €40
    500gb SSD €130
    H110M DDR4 board €50
    Decent WiFi - €30
    DVD-RW - €15
    22" 1080P Monitor €100
    Keyboard/Mouse - €20

Total - around €500-520

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude