Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get into laptop. Forgotten password

Options
  • 23-11-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I have a password to get into my laptop. I've stupidly forgotten it. Thought it would be easy to rem. Ha. Maybe not! What can I do? I've been scribbling 20+ versions as I know the general password if you know what I mean. V frustrating if I can't get in at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

73trix wrote: »
    I have a password to get into my laptop. I've stupidly forgotten it. Thought it would be easy to rem. Ha. Maybe not! What can I do? I've been scribbling 20+ versions as I know the general password if you know what I mean. V frustrating if I can't get in at all.

As far as I can gleam you have to reset your system. Here have a look.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2988539/windows/if-you-forget-your-windows-admin-password-try-this.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

Is this for the actual machine like a startup BIOS password or the windows login?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Tefral wrote: »
    Is this for the actual machine like a startup BIOS password or the windows login?

It's to get onto the computer. I can't get as far as Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

You might be able to retrieve the password with OphCrack.

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Download the iso and burn that to a cd/dvd/live usb and boot from it (usually pressing F11 or F12 when the pc is booting up and select boot from cd/dvd/usb).

me_irl wrote: »
    You might be able to retrieve the password with OphCrack.

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Download the iso and burn that to a cd/dvd/live usb and boot from it (usually pressing F11 or F12 when the pc is booting up and select boot from cd/dvd/usb).

Sorry but I can't use my laptop at all. Do you mean to download to a smart phone and put that on a USB? This is new territory to me. The laptop does not have a cd / dvd drive. Guess it's more a notebook?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Sorry but I can't use my laptop at all. Do you mean to download to a smart phone and put that on a USB? This is new territory to me. The laptop does not have a cd / dvd drive. Guess it's more a notebook?

No.

You'd have to download it on another machine "burn" the .iso file to a usb to make it bootable.

Is there anyone that can do this for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Have a google of sticky keys password hack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

It's to get onto the computer. I can't get as far as Windows.

Did the link I provide not help?

me_irl wrote: »
    No.

You'd have to download it on another machine "burn" the .iso file to a usb to make it bootable.

Is there anyone that can do this for you?

No. Not til the weekend. ONly the one computer in the house.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Did the link I provide not help?

I'll have to wait to borrow someone's computer to download and put onto usb to get into my notebook. There's no place for dvd/ cd. Very basic apparatus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement