Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I change GP?

Options
  • 23-11-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I dont like my current GP and would like to change to a different one. I have a medical card aswell. Do I need to give a reason for changing gps? and is it straightforward?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You don't need a reason but with the medical card the doctor has to be within a certain distance of where you live. There are instructions on the medical card website on how to do this. Seems fairly straightforward except for the fact that the doctor has to be close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catzy_

pilly wrote: »
    You don't need a reason but with the medical card the doctor has to be within a certain distance of where you live. There are instructions on the medical card website on how to do this. Seems fairly straightforward except for the fact that the doctor has to be close to home.
    On the HSE website they only have forms on changing the gp while on medical card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Catzy_ wrote: »
    On the HSE website they only have forms on changing the gp while on medical card.

But that's what you want to do isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

The new doctor needs to fill out a form agreeing to take you on its really easy providing you find a doctor. You dont need a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catzy_

But that's what you want to do isn't it?

Yes but I don't have access to a printer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Is there a local library? The citizen advise centre may print things, maybe even a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Your HSE centre will have a form if you are near them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Maybe call to the GP surgery you would like to change to. They usually have the forms. The form also needs to be signed by them.

No harm in phoning them to check and also to make sure that their books are open for medical card patients before initiating a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

they don't have to be that near,in the country "near" is an hour away,as a person who changed GP three times in a few months i can say that the you should interview the doctors before signing up to surgery,ask tem questions on ethics,morals etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dannyo666

Done this twice,you must do go to your "new" doc first and fill out a form,tell your old doc he/she is a clown(that was my reason) and send the files on you over-Thats what i did for said reasons........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Does your new GP need to have access to your medical files/history?

If so can you get your files given to you personally before handing them over to the new GP?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dannyo666

Donne wrote: »
    Does your new GP need to have access to your medical files/history?

If so can you get your files given to you personally before handing them over to the new GP?

Thanks.

I saw my new doc with no medical files but thats because my old gp was still stuck in the 1920s and i think my files came by horse and cart weeks later,i presumed my new doc had them,not to sure if you can get your files handed personally but i would have done this to get the ball rolling quicker

Although your new doc might want to know why you wanted them first-

Taking files out etc.....You can always ask to see them when your new doc has them-They are yours after all........

Advertisement