Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this HP good for a small bit of gaming?

Options
  • 23-11-2016 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/hp-15ay168sa-156-laptop-silver/341356/409.4

Hi, I wouldn't be the most well versed in computing. I know the basics but I couldn't tell you what's good and what's not. I was looking at the above laptop from Currys. It has the buzzwords of the i7 and 8GB RAM etc. I'd be looking to play a small few games - Football Manager, Team Fortress and general games made more for the PC, not the high end ones like Call of Duty or Battlefield. Is the one above capable of this or would I be better off looking elsewhere? Usually I wouldn't trust the value of shops like this but the Black Friday stuff has thrown me a bit.

Thanks everyone who reads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dual core processor and no dedicated graphics card.

Not really no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Would in the integrated graphics not do for the games mentioned there?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TheYardStick

I had some reservations about the graphics alright.

This one is another option if it's any better?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5491968/Trail/searchtext>ASUS.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bot have the same onboard chip:
    Fifa 15 Fifa 15 2014 low 1280x720 15.6 fps + Compare » The benchmarks indicate that the game is not playable in the tested settings.

For example Team Fortress 2 was running on the Surface 3 (x7-Z8700) only in lowest settings and 1280x720 fluently (11 - 69 fps range).

Unplayable.

Use laptops direct or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

ED E wrote: »
    Bot have the same onboard chip:

Unplayable.

Use laptops direct or similar.

You've just compared a 7th gen i7 device to a Surface powered by 1.7ghz Atom with only 2gb RAM....dafuq?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You've just compared a 7th gen i7 device to a Surface powered by 1.7ghz Atom with only 2gb RAM....dafuq?

Was just about to post the same. The original laptop posted is not a graphics powerhouse and would be totally unsuitable for any AAA titles from the last few years....but games like TF2 would run perfectly.

According to Notebookcheck, it's on par with the Nvidia GT920M.

Seems pretty solid for games like FIFA, CS: Go, TF2, DOTA, etc....even says it can run FIFA 16 at 1080p ultra @ 30fps.

Advertisement