Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 storey extension

Options
  • 23-11-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

A growing family means extend, or move in the near future. I live in a 3 bed semi detached, very similar to the one in the attached google maps image. Lets say my house is on the right (thats not my house btw). I am thinking of doing similar, but hopefully more.

My house has no extension. I know I would be able to extend to the 40sqm out the back and be planning exempt. I have a couple of questions though.

The image attached shows a 2 storey extension, but the extension is only on the "B" section. Is it OK to extend part "A" aswell, bringing it flush with part "B"?

Can the second storey also be 40sqm?

Would it be possible to also extend the attic on the footprint of part "B"? This would make for a nice master bedroom (subject to PP).

ext.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The second storey in the above picture needs planning permission.

You can extend the ground by 40 subject to other conditions which I assume you are aware of.

If you want to do 2 storey that's exempt you can only do 28 at ground and 12 upstairs and the walls of upstairs have to be 2m from the boundary they face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

kceire wrote: »
    The second storey in the above picture needs planning permission.

You can extend the ground by 40 subject to other conditions which I assume you are aware of.

If you want to do 2 storey that's exempt you can only do 28 at ground and 12 upstairs and the walls of upstairs have to be 2m from the boundary they face.

So PP would be the route then. And are the ideas allowable, or are there aspects of the idea just not allowed? There would be little point in the 2 storey extension if section A were to remain untouched. The whole area would need to come forward to make it worthwhile, but this would be right up to the neighbours boundary wall.

Most of your ideas are normal run of the mill domestic extension plans and should get rough the planning process quite easily.
    Extending the attic right out over the extension would be a problem based on my experience. Severe overlooking issues to start with.

The problem with this type of extension is that you need to create a hallway to the new extension and typically this means the removal of a bedroom in order to create a bedroom so you have to weigh up what you plan to achieve depending on your current layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

kceire wrote: »
    Most of your ideas are normal run of the mill domestic extension plans and should get rough the planning process quite easily.
    Extending the attic right out over the extension would be a problem based on my experience. Severe overlooking issues to start with.

The problem with this type of extension is that you need to create a hallway to the new extension and typically this means the removal of a bedroom in order to create a bedroom so you have to weigh up what you plan to achieve depending on your current layout.

Would tend to agree for the most part. However, the idea on the 2nd storey would be to make a much lager bedroom than the current bedroom. I've got 5 kids, so making a bigger room would be a big plus for beds and storage. The attic conversion would be the same idea...getting a legal room and making it bigger. Overlooking should not be an issue, because I would only put a window in the same place as most other houses with attic conversions, some with dormer windows. I would put a frosted, non opening window somewhere on the extended part if that was necessary for our light and for neighbours privacy.

goz83 wrote: »
    Would tend to agree for the most part. However, the idea on the 2nd storey would be to make a much lager bedroom than the current bedroom. I've got 5 kids, so making a bigger room would be a big plus for beds and storage.

That's cool, sounds like you know about the pitfalls and the larger room makes sense.
    goz83 wrote: »
    The attic conversion would be the same idea...getting a legal room and making it bigger. Overlooking should not be an issue, because I would only put a window in the same place as most other houses with attic conversions, some with dormer windows. I would put a frosted, non opening window somewhere on the extended part if that was necessary for our light and for neighbours privacy.

It would depend on context, you'd have to see the adjoining properties to make a call on whether you could advise the client on lodging for the attic etc
    Its also worth noting that the window must open to provide an alternative means of escape as per TGD Part B (Fire Safety).

• Advertisement
Advertisement