Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gpu suggestion

Options
  • 23-11-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am returning my R9 390X due to coil whine and will be on the look out for a new card to replace it.

Current set up
    BenQ XL2730Z 27 inch 1440p 144hz TN Freesync panel.
    i5 4690K @ 4.5
    16gb ram (was cheap, probably overkill for gaming)
    750W EVGA PSU

Current games
    Warcraft Legion, plenty of addons.
    Fallout 4
    Witcher 3
    Skyrim, heavily modded

New games as they come out. I Don't really go mad into FPS.

Whats the best bang for the buck at this stage for my set up.
    If I can I would like to stay with AMD to make use of the Freesync on my monitor .

Looking at this deal atm , Sapphire Fury Nitro , 278 stg on Overclockers
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-fury-nitro-4096mb-hbm-pci-express-graphics-card-with-backplate-11247-03-40g-gx-377-sp.html

Seems like a solid card and Sapphire have a good rep for cards. The 4gb of vram, will that be an issue do you think?

The jump up to the cheapest 1070 gtx seems extreme and I would loose the Freesync benefit. Which might not be the end of the world either.

Its a pity the new AMD cards are probably still 3-6 months away.

I dont think a 480 would be a runner and it would be a pity to buy it and flog it in 6 months. I know the XFX Radeon GTR RX 480 gets great reviews but after having two XFX cards with coil whine I would be hesitant in getting another one. Its working out at the same price on OCUK too.

Any advice and thanks in advance.

Advertisement