Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Cam bargain alert

Options
  • 23-11-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

The nest cam dropped to £114.99 overnight from about £150 on amazon, but if you sign up for prime baby & use the discount coupon BABYGC16 you can get an additional £15 off.

You'll need the nest thermostat to get the most out of it & also the nest protect if you really want to get bang for your buck.

There's cheaper/more versatile cameras out there but I'm going to use it with Hue & nest protect for smoke alarm stuff rather than use the subscription so I'll be using the mic rather than the lens (probably cover it).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OU812 wrote: »
    The nest cam dropped to £114.99 overnight from about £150 on amazon, but if you sign up for prime baby & use the discount coupon BABYGC16 you can get an additional £15 off.

You'll need the nest thermostat to get the most out of it & also the nest protect if you really want to get bang for your buck.

There's cheaper/more versatile cameras out there but I'm going to use it with Hue & nest protect for smoke alarm stuff rather than use the subscription so I'll be using the mic rather than the lens (probably cover it).
    The subscription service is a real turn off, plenty of similar products that don't require a sub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

ted1 wrote: »
    The subscription service is a real turn off, plenty of similar products that don't require a sub

Absolutely. I'm only getting it to avail of the nest/hue features.

Currently looking at arlo for security

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Neat system and one of the easiest to install (for obvious reasons). Night vision mode is useless beyond about 6ft.

Cameras located too far away from the base station can absolutely eat batteries, that's made even more painful by the choice of odd battery type which means replacements are harder to find and are eye-wateringly expensive.

Piper NV is worth a look if you want an indoor camera, extra points here as it includes a Z-wave controller and optional power-plugs, door/window contacts. Night vision mode is really impressive.

Absolutely. I'm only getting it to avail of the nest/hue features.

What features dues it offer for Nest/hue ? That would make it worth getting, considering that you need to get a second camera system?

Me thinks that the Nest marketing team has cast A spell on you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

What features dues it offer for Nest/hue ? That would make it worth getting, considering that you need to get a second camera system?

Me thinks that the Nest marketing team has cast A spell on you

It can turn off lights when it doesn't detect movement in a room (& Vice versa)

It can turn on lights if a burglar alarm sounds. If the nest smoke/co2 detector goes off it flashes the lights then switches them to emergency red lighting mode for smoke or extra bright for CO2.

It can sound the smoke alarm if it detects movement at a time when there's not supposed to be

It assists the learning function of the thermostat to reduce heating usage

• Advertisement

It can turn off lights when it doesn't detect movement in a room (& Vice versa)

It can turn on lights if a burglar alarm sounds. If the nest smoke/co2 detector goes off it flashes the lights then switches them to emergency red lighting mode for smoke or extra bright for CO2.

It can sound the smoke alarm if it detects movement at a time when there's not supposed to be

It assists the learning function of the thermostat to reduce heating usage

Surly there's a cheaper PIR sensor that can do all of that?

Does it need the camera to get the Nest to control the lights if an alarm sounds?

How much assistance does it give in learning the system in reducing the temp, surely since they added geo location on your phone that's enough.

http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/productdetail/philips-hue-motion-sensor
    Thete you go , money saved

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Surly there's a cheaper PIR sensor that can do all of that?

Yup the Philips Hue motion detector would be better for this.
    Does it need the camera to get the Nest to control the lights if an alarm sounds?

I assume this is the Nest's camera's ability to detect sound (for instance from a non connected smoke or security alarm) and thus trigger lights. You wouldn't need the camera if you have a Nest protect smoke alarm.

One area Nest is surprisingly missing from is a general purpose but connected home alarm system.

I suspect other IP cameras will gain these features in time.
    How much assistance does it give in learning the system in reducing the temp, surely since they added geo location on your phone that's enough.

In reality very little, most people find Nest's learning system to be very poor and end up disabling it, using just it's wifi control and geofencing instead.

bk wrote: »
    Yup the Philips Hue motion detector would be better for this.

I assume this is the Nest's camera's ability to detect sound (for instance from a non connected smoke or security alarm) and thus trigger lights. You wouldn't need the camera if you have a Nest protect smoke alarm.

One area Nest is surprisingly missing from is a general purpose but connected home alarm system.

I suspect other IP cameras will gain these features in time.

In reality very little, most people find Nest's learning system to be very poor and end up disabling it, using just it's wifi control and geofencing instead.

I think that the fact that it's wifi based is the obstacle that stops it from being having alarm features.
    With UPC you could disconnect it by simply unscrewing the connection outside the house , with twisted copper you cut the cable.
    Most good alarms will be mains powered with battery back up and have A link to a control centre that isn't reliant on internet comms.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think that the fact that it's wifi based is the obstacle that stops it from being having alarm features.
    With UPC you could disconnect it by simply unscrewing the connection outside the house , with twisted copper you cut the cable.
    Most good alarms will be mains powered with battery back up and have A link to a control centre that isn't reliant on internet comms.

I agree completely. That is why I say it is a pity Nest don't do a proper security system. As in a hub unit with a built in rechargeable batteries (for at least 24 hours usage if power goes out) and a secondary communications channel over mobile network.

Allow the Nest cameras connect to the hub, along with PIR's, door and window contacts, siren/flasher units, etc. along with Nest Protect smoke alarms and Thermostat and you have a pretty excellent home security system.

To be honest it is very surprising they haven't done that yet. It is the obvious next move, they have been rolling out new products very slowly.

Advertisement