Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek series in the 70s

Options
  • 23-11-2016 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Do you think if there had been a Star Trek series made in the 70s it would have been successful.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'd like it to have been, but i doubt it.

If it was done with the original cast i'd say it would probably have flopped again after a season or two. Say if it did get filmed and flopped, would Roddenberry give up entirely on the show?

Maybe if it was done with a new cast ala TNG, it could have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

degrassinoel Was there many sci-fi shows in the 70s? What about the early 80s then to you think that would have been a good time?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

AMKC wrote: »
    Do you think if there had been a Star Trek series made in the 70s it would have been successful.

TAS ran during the 1970's, if that counts?
    degrassinoel Was there many sci-fi shows in the 70s? What about the early 80s then to you think that would have been a good time?

Space: 1999, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rodgers... mixed bag really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

TAS ran during the 1970's, if that counts?
    Star Trek Phase II was due out in the 70's ... but that ended up becoming TMP.
    Space: 1999, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rodgers... mixed bag really.

Loved them all. Particularly BSG and BR.

Hated my sister for getting married on the day that Space:1999 piloted on RTE, so I missed the first episode and of course got to see snippets of it in the opening credits of every subsequent episode. :mad: I think I was about 8 at the time, so had my priorities right!!! :p

Dr. Who and Blake's 7, Battlestar Galactica, UFO, all those puppet things, Stingray, Thunderbirds etc.. (wrong, 1960's Gerry Anderson awesomeness)
    Actually...

Was this a trick question? ST The Animated series was in the 70's :D

I reckon TNG was perfectly timed for the late 80's for it be both acted well and have reasonable special effects too - the 70's were just bad for stuff like that.

• Advertisement

Bugger! Now you've gone and got me all reminiscing! :P

Come on now, but who didn't love Blakes 7. I really wish to the holy FSM that they would remake this (lots of legal crap is stopping this apparently). It was pretty dark stuff, but highly entertaining. If they pulled a BSG style reboot on it, I think that would be excellent.

And something totally off the reservation - The Fantastic Voyage, was a short lived but had such huge potential at the time for greatness. I'm not looking at this in rose tinted spectacles either. I found a source <cough> for them about 3 or 4 years ago and watched them back. Cheesy 70s outfits, but the concepts were very promising.

I'm sure I'll remember more, but they were my two happier memories.

Lost in Space was another one, but is OT since that was a 60's show. :eek:

I was thinking of that too, and 'Land of the Giants' jaysis that was a great show, haven't seen it since the 90's when Sky or Super channel reran it for ages.

Blakes was great i watched it again recently too, effects aside the story is really good

I was thinking of that too, and 'Land of the Giants' jaysis that was a great show, haven't seen it since the 90's when Sky or Super channel reran it for ages.

Blakes was great i watched it again recently too, effects aside the story is really good

Ah yeah ... Land of the Giants ... that only sneaks in as on-topic as it ran into the 1970 ... ;)

Most of the good sci-fi on RTE in the 70's originated in the 60's, so I'm going to claim them as being 70's!!! :D

Time Tunnel, was another good one.

Of the Gerry Andersen ones mentioned I loved Stingray. Strangely enough the more mainstream ones (Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons) weren't on RTE I think, I might be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing them until many years later ... like 1980s years later. Ye fancy east coasters with ye're BBC and what not would have seen them of course. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ah yeah ... Land of the Giants ... that only sneaks in as on-topic as it ran into the 1970 ... ;)

Most of the good sci-fi on RTE in the 70's originated in the 60's, so I'm going to claim them as being 70's!!! :D

Time Tunnel, was another good one.

Of the Gerry Andersen ones mentioned I loved Stingray. Strangely enough the more mainstream ones (Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons) weren't on RTE I think, I might be

wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing them until many years later ... like 1980s years later. Ye fancy east coasters with ye're BBC and what not would have seen them of course. :rolleyes:

I loved Stingray too how could you not with a cool sub like that.

Land of the Giants does be on the Horror Channel. Tried to get back into it there recently but some of the storys and acting in it were just terrible. Loved it as a kid do. Loved Buck Rogers too. Some cool ships in it as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

What does The Starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus wiping out cling on's.

• Advertisement

What does The Starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus wiping out cling on's.

I think that's probably from the 1970's too saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Star Trek Phase II was due out in the 70's ... but that ended up becoming TMP.

The script for TMP goes back as far as 1975 at least- a version of it titled The God Thing, which was Roddenberry's first attempt to make a Star Trek movie after TOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

How many ears does Spock have? Three... The left ear the right ear and the final front ear.

How many ears does Spock have? Three... The left ear the right ear and the final front ear.
    ve4fu.jpg

Advertisement