Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 win in 9 & 1 goal from open play in 8

Options
  • 22-11-2016 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

its more than a blip - anyone can see that we have some deep rooted problems

the club's failure to build on last season's success has fúcked us

we can't cope with 1 or 2 injuries or 1 or 2 players loss of form
    we just don't have the depth

its going to be a long hard season now folks :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

On the bright side, lucky we're hitting our rough patch now and we're still only 4 points off the top!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

On the bright side, lucky we're hitting our rough patch now and we're still only 4 points off the top!! :D:D:D

I admire your optimism but it's the hope that kills you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

I'm starting to wonder whether rumours about Mitchell leaving were true, and that Batshuayi was the plan, and not Janssen. We just couldn't get his wages sorted.

Echos what Poch has been saying lately about quality, and Janssen's performance on the pitch. But we've also been without Kane for most of those games, Toby and Moussa has been out a fair few as well.

When we have Toby/Dembele/Kane/Lloris in the team we have a chance vs just about anyone.

We are a tough to beat team, even out off form we can pick up points.

I think Sissoko still has a lot to offer us, just his settling in has been bad and the fans have been on his back, he's had the least amount of time with us(and a busy summer), where as our best performing new arrival Wanyama arrived at the start of the summer.

Resources are ever more lean for Poch approaching this stadium, so we must settle for lower expectations, especially when increasing transfer budget must be spent just to hold on to our existing players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

pretty accurate assessment.......

It has been a dismal week for Mauricio Pochettino's side as they crashed out of the Champions League and also saw their unbeaten run in the Premier League come to an end as they fell to a 2-1 defeat at Chelsea on Saturday.

But despite a tough few days, The Times' chief sports writer Matt Dickinson does not believe that they are at a crisis point and need to improve their options up front to help support Harry Kane, who has recently been out with an injury.

"I think there was an issue going back to the summer with transfers," he said on Sunday Supplement. "It was clear to everyone that they needed help up front and Harry Kane was shouldering a heck of a lot, especially with the Champions League campaign.

"Vincent Janssen is not looking like the man to do that. If you look around European football and said he was the best standard you could come up with, it looks like they went for a relatively cut-price option and they are paying a bit for that. They need different options up front clearly.

"Let's not forget they probably put in the standout domestic performance by beating Man City which is not easily done so this is not a team in crisis, far from it.

"Maybe now they are out of the Champions League, maybe it will help somehow to get some kind of winning run going but the striker thing is something they can look on and regret."

The Daily Mail's football editor Ian Ladyman echoed the need for an improved Spurs squad and despite their talent, a spell at European football's top table was a test too far

"I think Tottenham's issues are the squad. Pochettino has touched on it himself, they can't pay the wages and they are stuck in this holding pattern at the moment that Arsenal had for many years waiting to move into a stadium," he said.

"I believe Hugo Lloris is the highest earner in the squad on £70,000 or £80,000 a week which is good money but nothing compared to what rivals in the Premier League are paying.

"I know for example that when Tottenham were looking for strikers, they looked at people like Antoine Griezmann and it's just not going to happen for lots of reasons. You spend your time doing research on who you might want to buy and you end up with someone who probably wasn't on your second list but your third list.

"Until they move forward and Daniel Levy decides that it's time to give Pochettino proper money to spend on wages, not just transfer fees because wages are what matter at the end of the day, I think they are still going to struggle.

Tottenham have got some very good players, they've got a great manager and a fantastic way of playing when they get going but having to play European football as well asks a lot of questions of a squad and as Pochettino said, they have fallen short."

Advertisement