Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science or engineering

Options
  • 22-11-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi guys I am currently considering going to WIT as a mature student and was curious about the engineering and science departments.

How are these courses regarded?
    Is manufacturing engineering a good option?
    Is pharmaceutical science a good option?
    Are there many opportunities after completing either of these courses?

I previously did an undergrad in mathematics at TCD and worked in finance for some years but despise this area and desperately need a change.

Any help would be great but I've noticed the WIT forum seems to be completely dead so I won't hold my breath.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭invara

I work in WIT, but in the business school.

WIT programmes have good currency with local employers, the two areas you are looking at have very strong employment pathways with significant MNC employers. So in pharma there is TEVA, Genzyme, West and Eirgen in Waterford City, with other options in Kilkenny, Dungarvan and Clonmel. Engineering I suspect has more SME options as well as MNCs. Maths is the big challenge in engineering and from my understanding the lower entry threshold means students have difficulty getting through. Check out the placements if you have a specific interest. There is a perceived prestige gap between an IoT degree and a university qualification, but WIT works to the same international standard for an Irish L8 degree. As differences go, I suspect that WIT with smaller class sizes, focuses on more practical lab/experiential learning (e.g. so you do practicals rather than demonstrations).

Worth checking out springboard options for next year, they should be announced in May and they are particularly aimed at leading people into work, usually with a placement. Also check out conversion course options that might be quicker than a full degree- most 1st year subjects are common in a BSc.

It is worth contacting the course director for both these programmes to hear their take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I think manufacturing eng is the better option, you would sail through the maths modules. I'll also say that quantity surveyors seem to be hugely in demand at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Pharma science and manufacturing engineering are two very different careers.

Look into the opportunities available at the end of the course before making your choice. Have a scan of jobs.ie and look at the roles and what's required.

Advertisement