Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven isolation switch in different room?

Options
  • 22-11-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a kitchen that backs onto a utility, I was wondering if it was ok to move my oven isolation switch into the adjoining utility room (as I find it unsightly). Would this be within the building regs?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KpsCowley wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a kitchen that backs onto a utility, I was wondering if it was ok to move my oven isolation switch into the adjoining utility room (as I find it unsightly). Would this be within the building regs?

It's not a Building Regulation. It's an electrical wiring regulation. I think ET101 Regulation if memory serves me correctly. But technically no, it would be a breach of electrical regs to not have it above the counter where the over is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KpsCowley

Thanks kceire,
    I'll have a look into ET101 Regulation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KpsCowley wrote: »
    Thanks kceire,
    I'll have a look into ET101 Regulation.

It may not be the exact reg but it springs to mind. It maybe the reg around wiring and fires safety though.

Either way, no registered electrician will allow the switch elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

i'm 99% sure it has to be within arms reach/1 meter of the cooker

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KpsCowley

The answers seem to be in this document

"Electrical regs 55A Section 4.2 A and 554.3.5"

I've searched everywhere online, but can't get access to it. Would anyone have a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

it has to be beside the oven
    555.2.1 says it has to be within 2 Mts of the device

Advertisement