Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing child surname after marrige

Options
  • 22-11-2016 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Im getting married next week and want to take my future husbands surname when we marry.
    Can I change my child surname to that of my future husband? He is not the child biological father)
    My child have my surname on the birth cert, but his biological dad name is on cert too.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You can, but you would need the agreement of the childs biological father.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How old is the child? Does he want to change his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Annaie

Son is 9 years old, and yes he want to change his surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You can, but you would need the agreement of the childs biological father.

Legally you only need his permission if he's a legal guardian. Fatherhood does not automatically grant that. Marriage or a statutory declaration grants it. If he's not a guardian then you can do it either via Deed Poll or through common usage.

That said legal doesn't necessarily mean right - if you have a relationship with the father then do engage with him regardless of whether or not he's a guardian.

http://www.treoir.ie/information-registration.php#Other%20ways%20of%20changing%20a%20child%27s%20surname

Advertisement