Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feeling like this about the leaving?

Options
  • 22-11-2016 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm really stressed out about it. I'm finding myself completely drained by the time I get home from my lessons and I've missed so many days now over constant exhaustion I feel like I'm drowning in all the work I've missed. I barely get any study done and I barely get time to do things that I enjoy doing. Sorry if I seem like I'm ranting it's just I'm very stressed out at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

I'd suggest visiting your GP to check your bloods and whatever else they suggest. Also, speak to your counsellor at school about some tips. Get more organised and do a little study every day. Half an hour of exercise, good food and some sleep might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

Posting because I am in the exact same situation I have missed so many days (including today) and with last years work and catching up is impossible,not that many students are willing to help with missed work either(I don't expect them to). Putting no work in at all because of exhaustion and it can be seen in my results. When I come home from school all I wanna do is sleep. It is hard to get started ,I can't tell you the amount of study plans I have made that I've never seen again. Everyone says I have the ability but I just need to get organised and together but with so much to do,it is easy to just ignore it and that's what I've been doing.
    Ignore,See the amount of work to be done,then Panic about it, Repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Nobody is 100% motivated 100% percent of the time. Everybody has evenings where they struggle to stay functioning to even half-finish their homework. I just think it's a case of taking advantage of the random spikes in energy and motivation that come along sometimes and making use of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

You could be eating the wrong food or just not exercising enough. You'd be surprised the difference eating a fruit can make.
    But I agree about the feeling of days passing and not doing much or near enough. All I can say is this year you've probably paid more attention to time than any other. if you put it a small amount each day it does build up. But you really have to just put the questions in front of you and answer them to study. I'm not a big supporter of just writing note out.
    You're lucky that its still a few months away. You can still do pretty well if you follow a set rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Strange as I'm completely relaxed about the whole thing and haven't missed a day this year. Just kept tippin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Different strokes for different folks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Just think about your end goal. If you want to do a 400 point course in college for a certain career then look at ways of getting this career by getting 200 points in your leaving. Take the pressure off by knowing there may be PLC or higher certificate courses that can lead you to the same end result. Lots of people who struggle with the leaving cert thrive in college so it is just a case of struggling through till June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You can have all the motivation in the world, and you could still nothing done.

You need to be disciplined. Opening a book and just starring at the page is better than doing absolutely nothing. You need to get into the habit of dealing with 'school work' during after school hours. Condition yourself by doing the small things.

For example, when I did my Leaving Cert, I wouldn't take my uniform off until 9pm. It would drive my family mad, but I knew that staying in the uniform meant I wasn't fully home so I was less likely to slack off (slacking did happen though!).

Some days I'd literally open my notes folder and just glance through the notes (despite planning to do something more productive), getting myself familiar with how much study I need to do. This act alone will help because you're conditioning yourself.

It is a long a battle, and one that will stick with you for a good while (depending how hard you try!). Besides conditioning yourself to be become a study zombie, I highly recommend:
    a) Exercising! I've friends who stopped doing sports because of the exams and now regret it. It's proven to help the brain and it a phenomenal stress reliever. Personally, running is perfect in this situation.
    b) Keep a log or diary. It's hard to believe that this would help, and you'd be thinking why are you spending time writing about your study instead of actually studying. Just try it for a week, I dare you! Note down all your study plans, and comment how they went the next day. This will help you in the long term, and if you're horrific at keeping organised, looking back at the log/diary will help keep track of what happened.

Advertisement