Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levelling floor before tiling

Options
  • 22-11-2016 5:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for abit of info,I have lifted my tiles in my kitchen,dinning room and hallway around 38m2 total.tye adhesive that was laid down for the previous tiling is a nightmare to try and lift so I was told by some guys to just use a self levelling compound and then tile ontop if that?

I'm new to this but want to do it myself so can anyone recommend a compound to use and what I pointer I might need.its on a concrete floor so no wooded floorboards or anything

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tobin15

Just try figure out how unlevel the floor is, pick the highest and lowest points and try gauge the difference. It will all depend on the kind of compound you need.

Compounds from Tilemaster Adhesives from my experience are the best you can buy, if going over 20mm you need a fibre reinforced compound.

Larsson do one too but its crap! If you need something just to fill in the gaps where the old adhesive was get a 2mm-12mm compound.

Ball do a very good compound too cant remember the name but its a red bag 25kg. Says 6mm but can do up to 15mm no problem.

Get a mix with water only bag and read the bag to make sure the tiles will stick, I know some compounds dont hold tiles well. Just make sure it says it will work on tiles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

Tobin15 wrote: »
    Just try figure out how unlevel the floor is, pick the highest and lowest points and try gauge the difference. It will all depend on the kind of compound you need.

Compounds from Tilemaster Adhesives from my experience are the best you can buy, if going over 20mm you need a fibre reinforced compound.

Larsson do one too but its crap! If you need something just to fill in the gaps where the old adhesive was get a 2mm-12mm compound.

Ball do a very good compound too cant remember the name but its a red bag 25kg. Says 6mm but can do up to 15mm no problem.

Get a mix with water only bag and read the bag to make sure the tiles will stick, I know some compounds dont hold tiles well. Just make sure it says it will work on tiles.

Thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Take into account that this may result in your finished floor being higher than original and have some knock on effects at doorways, where you meet other surfaces etc.

Take into account that this may result in your finished floor being higher than original and have some knock on effects at doorways, where you meet other surfaces etc.

My idea there was to maybe fade it in abit at the doorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tobin15

Bigbok wrote: »
    My idea there was to maybe fade it in abit at the doorways?
    Use a trowel and just skim the compound down to just above the old adhesive, that way you can limit your height gain as best as possible. If you fall off towards the door ways your floor will be uneven or else you'll just end up using extra adhesive in those parts to bring the tiles up level

• Advertisement

Use a trowel and just skim the compound down to just above the old adhesive, that way you can limit your height gain as best as possible. If you fall off towards the door ways your floor will be uneven or else you'll just end up using extra adhesive in those parts to bring the tiles up level

Thanks will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭e.r

I would , fill in old adhesive ribs with leveller, max 3mm on top of the highest rib. Latex based or primer and water based
    I would not put 15-20mm of a water based compound on old adhesive unless you want to clean your floor.

e.r wrote: »
    I would , fill in old adhesive ribs with leveller, max 3mm on top of the highest rib. Latex based or primer and water based
    I would not put 15-20mm of a water based compound on old adhesive unless you want to clean your floor.

So basically just fill the gaps and have a very thin layer over the floor?

Do I need to put a seelent onto the floor before using the self levelling compound?also
    Does it matter that most of the adhesive from the previous tiles are on the floor still?my plan is to just go over that with the compound?

Sorry about all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭e.r

Yeah basically if your happy with the levels, your just going to flatten the floor to make it easier to tile.
    Remove any loose adhesive, normally what stays on the floor after removing the tiles is well bonded.

No need to seal as such, priming will be needed when using a water based leveller, but it does no harm if using a bag and bottle leveller, but not required as the primer is in the latex(sort of)

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

e.r wrote: »
    Yeah basically if your happy with the levels, your just going to flatten the floor to make it easier to tile.
    Remove any loose adhesive, normally what stays on the floor after removing the tiles is well bonded.

No need to seal as such, priming will be needed when using a water based leveller, but it does no harm if using a bag and bottle leveller, but not required as the primer is in the latex(sort of)

Hope this helps

This is the one I'm issuing as it was on sale

Pic attached

Trying to attach a pic of the type in useing but won't allow it.

It's EVO-STIK one

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

Hi Tobin15, hope you can help me...

Where do you source the Tilemaster Compounds and which one do you recommend for under Engineered and laminate floors?

Advertisement