Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending display on dual monitors - 1 VGA, 0 HDMI and 2 Display ports available

Options
  • 22-11-2016 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

I have a Desktop with 1 VGA, 0 HDMI and 2 Display Ports (See attached Pic).

I would like to "Extend" the display on the desktop. So if I connect one monitor to VGA and the second monitor to the (Display Port - DP), would I be able to extend the displays?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What operating system looks like a dell pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976064

Windows 8 users:

Press the Windows Key + C to open the Charm bar.
    Click Devices.
    Click Second Screen / Project.
    Click Extend.
    Press the Windows Key + C to open the Charm bar again.
    Click Settings.
    Click Control Panel.
    Open the Display Section (This may be hidden under Appearance and Personalization)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

It's a dell alright - I'd say an OptiPlex. There's a win8 license sticker in the bottom left, so the OS is either Windows 8 Pro, or it could be an ex-office PC with a downgrade to Windows 7 despite the sticker.

Either way, you can plug the second monitor into one of the DP ports, and you'll be able to extend the desktop. Any on board graphics card from the last 4 years would be capable of driving 2 monitors at 1680x1050 at least.
    If you post back with more info on the computer model & graphics card (or the system service tag), then you'll get a more definite answer.

I'd recommend using two of the same monitors though if you can. At the very least, make sure both monitors have the same native resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

It's a dell alright - I'd say an OptiPlex. There's a win8 license sticker in the bottom left, so the OS is either Windows 8 Pro, or it could be an ex-office PC with a downgrade to Windows 7 despite the sticker.

Either way, you can plug the second monitor into one of the DP ports, and you'll be able to extend the desktop. Any on board graphics card from the last 4 years would be capable of driving 2 monitors at 1680x1050 at least.
    If you post back with more info on the computer model & graphics card (or the system service tag), then you'll get a more definite answer.

I'd recommend using two of the same monitors though if you can. At the very least, make sure both monitors have the same native resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TestLink

The desktop is HP ProDesk 600 G1 - Win 8.1 Pro downgraded to Win 7 Pro

Graphics Adapter is Intel HD Graphics 4400.

Hope the above info helps...

So if I connect one monitor to VGA port and the second monitor to the (Display Port - DP), would I be able to extend the displays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chip supports 3x displays total so that will work yes.

Advertisement