Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wellington Road, Phoenix Park Closure

Options
  • 22-11-2016 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

Saw a VMS in the Phoenix Park this morning announcing that Wellington Road will be closed from the 28th of November for a period of 6 weeks, the resurfacing and fixing of the underlining road subsidence issues are well overdue.

However my question is what will the alternative route be? I presume if will be Acres Road onto the unnamed road which takes you by The Magazine Fort to the Island Bridge Gate.

I have checked the Phoenix Park website ‘http://www.phoenixpark.ie/ ‘ as of yet there is no information available.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume out the north road gate and down infirmary road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I presume out the north road gate and down infirmary road?

Just received a mail back from the OPW.

The alternative route will be down Acres Road, turn left onto Military Road and exit out Islandbridge Gate.

[IMG][/img]Untitled_zpsbgsukza1.png

So the road was supposed to be closed for 6 weeks, we're now into the 8th week of closure, just wondering if anyone know when it is now due to be re-opened??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to the phoenix park website, it's due to complete on the 5th.

according to the phoenix park website, it's due to complete on the 5th.

That means that the road will be closed for a total of 10 weeks instead of the 6 weeks they originally said, considering the weather has been agreeable it seems like a crazy overrun...

• Advertisement

celticbest wrote: »
    That means that the road will be closed for a total of 10 weeks instead of the 6 weeks they originally said, considering the weather has been agreeable it seems like a crazy overrun...

Closure now pushed out until February the 19th, I hope the contractor is taking the hit for what will now be a 6 overrun, double the original planned time.

How can someone get the time it will take so wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Are they laying a pavement on the other side of the road as part of this? I was running past the Islandbridge end of the road and noticed a pavement on the side that previously had no pavement. Does anyone know if it runs the full length of the road now?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Are they laying a pavement on the other side of the road as part of this? I was running past the Islandbridge end of the road and noticed a pavement on the side that previously had no pavement. Does anyone know if it runs the full length of the road now?

They are adding a cycling lane and making it one way, which side the cycle lane will be on I'm not sure but I presume it will be Path one side and cycle lane on the other which would explain what you saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kayakswimkayak

I haven't seen any work going on here for the last few weeks. I've emailed the Park Superintendent to see when it is opening again. It wouldn't take this long to build a motorway.

I haven't seen any work going on here for the last few weeks. I've emailed the Park Superintendent to see when it is opening again. It wouldn't take this long to build a motorway.

Park Management replied and said it will be at least another two weeks. Jaysus!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any explanation given?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I recall a previous time they did works there they realised the foundation was pretty much non-existent, hence having to do a much more complex fix than initially planned, maybe it's something similar?

"There is now an extension of another 2 weeks due to works due to commence shortly"

"There is now an extension of another 2 weeks due to works due to commence shortly"

This is outrageous at this stage! Nothing has been happening on this road for the past 3-4 weeks….

The closure was originally meant to be for 6 weeks from the 28th of November, if these additional 2 weeks are added on then the closure will be for a total of 14 weeks, 8 weeks more than originally planned, as I’ve previously stated I hope it’s the contractor that’s taking the hit for this overrun.

Here is a picture I took this morning.

WhatsApp%20Image%202017-02-20%20at%2007.36.26_zpschamqmb8.jpeg

As you can see all works are complete at the Island Bridge end of the road and have been completed for many, many weeks..

the PP website says 5th march.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

The road is fully resurfaced back to main road roundabout. The new bidirectional cycleway is in place.

The main piece of work remaining, I think, are the road & cycle lane markings. Has been this way for the past few weeks with very little, if any, visible work taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Didn't realise they were making the road one-way - that's great news. I presume they'll re-close the existing diversion route once this opens again?

GREAT NEWS....

The road will not now be reopening until the 19.03.2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

MJohnston wrote: »
    Didn't realise they were making the road one-way - that's great news. I presume they'll re-close the existing diversion route once this opens again?

I'll really miss this diversion personally, not just because it's much handier for me but a lovely relaxing drive in the morning with great views and scenery. Would be great if they kept it open

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Passed by tonight, and was delighted to see it's open again as of today, finally :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

A nice job done.

ITV2 wrote: »
    A nice job done.

For a road which is 750m long and was closed for 16 weeks the finish is a disgrace!

It is like a patch work quilt in places, I don’t think the first 100m was touched apart from adding the cycle lane paint, the yellow lines to the side of the road are old and faded.

Advertisement