Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repurposing old laptop screen as external monitor

Options
  • 22-11-2016 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've a HP Probook 4530s with multiple operating systems and I'm getting a HD screen for it in the next bit. The current screen still runs perfectly so I was wondering if I could do anything to make it be used as a second screen for home use?
    I don't really have the space and don't want the hassle of a second monitor in my (fairly small) room but if it didn't require too much more wiring I could stick the old screen onto a tablet stand no bother.

The laptop has HDMI, VGA and USB 3.0 ports. Ideally I'd want it to work through the HDMI port but I'd settle for VGA.

The new screen requires a different cable than the current one in the laptop, so I'd have the cable available too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

A quick google suggests that HDMI and VGA ports on a laptop are output only. The only option to get your screen setup as a monitor, is to go digging into the laptop and find the model number of the LCD screen. Have a look on ebay for an LCD Controller Board and make sure it supports your screen's model.
    There is also some extra stuff if your screen doesn't have a backlight thing built in (memory is fuzzy on this), but those models are usually way older than what you have.

Edit2: The stuff below was based on an assumption that you were using a desktop, not simply upgrading the actual screen itself on the laptop. As such, the above information is all that is useful to you, but other people might find the below useful.

Edit: There might actually be some software to allow you to seamlessly drag the same input sources (keyboard and mouse) into the laptop environment. You would be restricted to the power of the laptop, but might be worth looking into if the laptop is in good working order and you don't want to rip it apart.
    http://www.labnol.org/software/share-keyboard-mouse-with-two-computers/18470/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Xenoronin wrote: »
    The only option to get your screen setup as a monitor, is to go digging into the laptop and find the model number of the LCD screen. Have a look on ebay for an LCD Controller Board and make sure it supports your screen's model.

+1 - It's a fun project if you're into electronics/DIY

GreatScott did a good video on repurposing old laptop panels - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SOXMDb4cjI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Xenoronin wrote: »
    A quick google suggests that HDMI and VGA ports on a laptop are output only. The only option to get your screen setup as a monitor, is to go digging into the laptop and find the model number of the LCD screen. Have a look on ebay for an LCD Controller Board and make sure it supports your screen's model.
    There is also some extra stuff if your screen doesn't have a backlight thing built in (memory is fuzzy on this), but those models are usually way older than what you have.

Edit2: The stuff below was based on an assumption that you were using a desktop, not simply upgrading the actual screen itself on the laptop. As such, the above information is all that is useful to you, but other people might find the below useful.

Edit: There might actually be some software to allow you to seamlessly drag the same input sources (keyboard and mouse) into the laptop environment. You would be restricted to the power of the laptop, but might be worth looking into if the laptop is in good working order and you don't want to rip it apart.
    http://www.labnol.org/software/share-keyboard-mouse-with-two-computers/18470/
    Think your first response has it down! I'm removing a perfectly fine screen from the laptop for a better one and want to see if I can turn the old screen into a monitor its own right.

What does the lcd controller board typically involve as far as extra parts go? I'm assuming:
    1. the board itself
    2. vga/hdmi cable
    3. power cable
    4. a cable to connect the board to the screen (presumably the one with the laptop would do the job here as I need a new cable for the new screen)

I see some boards describing themselves as universal, is that a lie or a huge pain in the arse?

roast wrote: »
    +1 - It's a fun project if you're into electronics/DIY

GreatScott did a good video on repurposing old laptop panels - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SOXMDb4cjI

Yup, I have a kit myself :D Generally always have a screen knocking about, even if it's a bit fecked. I must make a proper frame for it at some point. Lots of wires everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll need a DC power supply + 3 other boards and associated cables to produce a rather ugly little display thats vulnerable to easily being broken.

A project like this is great for when you want to build a retro games cabinet etc, not so great if you just want a second display IMO. Grab a mounting arm a freebie monitor thats going for recycling, mount monitor 2cm above laptop height, profit.

• Advertisement

What does the lcd controller board typically involve as far as extra parts go? I'm assuming:
    1. the board itself
    2. vga/hdmi cable
    3. power cable
    4. a cable to connect the board to the screen (presumably the one with the laptop would do the job here as I need a new cable for the new screen)

I see some boards describing themselves as universal, is that a lie or a huge pain in the arse?

Yeah, the power supply is just a generic enough one (12V DC usually).
    The LVDS cable is usually supplied with the board as I don't think the laptop one will work due to the board connector.

When ordering mine, I messaged the seller to make sure that my screen model was supported by the board as it wasn't listed. Then I tried another screen a year or two later which I have no idea if it was listed and it just worked. I'm pretty sure they are generally universal anyway.

ED E wrote: »
    You'll need a DC power supply + 3 other boards and associated cables to produce a rather ugly little display thats vulnerable to easily being broken.

A project like this is great for when you want to build a retro games cabinet etc, not so great if you just want a second display IMO. Grab a mounting arm a freebie monitor thats going for recycling, mount monitor 2cm above laptop height, profit.
    What are the two boards beyond the lcd controller?

Kind of just want to do it to see if I can do it more than anything so if it's cheap enough I'm gonna give it a shot. The whole reason I bought this specific laptop is to play around with changing parts.

one of the guys I message said the compatibility is based on the screen resolution rather than the model number. Whether that means they'd work with larger screens but limit the output to that resolution is anyone's guess though, I'd guess they would?

Advertisement