Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riftcat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It uses your phone as the screen so a 1440p phone is ideal (like S6), but 1080p works well enough. Haven't tried this particular model but it works well enough on other similar devices for €20/30. Obviously not as good as Rift/Vive but the experience is similar. Only shame is that a lot of people use crap quality headsets and/or poor quality phones, and come away blaming VR for a bad experience rather than what they're using.

If you've a half decent phone, it's worth the money for messing around with, loads of stuff on the play store to have fun with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tried it with Nexus 5 and oneplus2 and it was lag free with decent quality. The PC is doing all the work sending basically images to the phone via wifi?

Not a big fan of VR but will give this a go with that Aldi phone holder thing and Elite Dangerous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have an S6 with a 1440 screen, always felt it was overkill for my needs but this looks interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got the Gear VR yesterday, so i might try this with Elite later tonight with the S7.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have a Cardboard/Phone VR headset thing and I just tested it out trying the Steam VR. Steam wouldn't let me do anything without a Vive controller, so I have to figure out how to get past that. Not sure what games I have that support VR...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shiminay wrote: »
    I have a Cardboard/Phone VR headset thing and I just tested it out trying the Steam VR. Steam wouldn't let me do anything without a Vive controller, so I have to figure out how to get past that. Not sure what games I have that support VR...

I installed riftcat then installed steamvr then launched steamvr from riftcat and it works.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Checked Aldi this morning, didn't have and VR headsets left in the store....Might have a look online and pick one up.

Advertisement