Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I start? Self build and planning, borrowing!

Options
  • 21-11-2016 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,
    I'm looking for some guidance on a self build here, myself and my wife have been gifted a site from her parents on their land, a very generous wedding present but we will be the first to build on it. Basically we don't know where to begin, have had a few chats with different lenders/brokers and I'm still none the wiser!

Can anyone who has been through this give me a few pointers like a first 5 steps procedure to follow, i.e - architect - planning permission - bank etc? I would appreciate some guidance on where and with who to start?

Also how does it work with possibly using the site as the deposit? I have a steady income but zero savings as we had a baby last year, got married the year before, got engaged the year before, was in college as a mature student for 3 years before that due to the recession! My salary has gone up year on year for the last 4 years and will continue to do so. Any advice on dealing with the banks/lenders, suggestions on which ones are the best to deal with for self builds considering our circumstances? I have a good record of rent and loan repayments that equate to a similar amount of what the repayments would be on what we can afford to borrow!

All and any advice no matter how big or small would be great?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭m1b2k3

I know not all people have the same experience with the planners but I would start there. We had a tough time getting planning permission and although we stressed about the mortgage by the time we got planning we were in a position to qualify for the mortgage. So I would 1. Start Saving 2. Hire an engineer or architect or planning consultant. It is very important to pick someone with a good relationship with the planning authority. They need to understand the types of houses, issues etc that the planners like/dont like in your area. An architect may design your dream home but its no good if you cant get planning for it. Even look up online some recent applications in the area so you can see what issues they had if any. There may be no issues in your area so you might be fine. 3. some people find it beneficial to have a pre planning meeting, others dont. Talk to your professional about whether in their experience they have found them useful or not. We had one, i didn't find it useful but it wasn't any harm either. What it will do is give you an indication as to what issues the planner may see in the application so you have a chance to address them before you submit. 4. Talk to a mortgage broker. People underestimate how long it takes to get planning so you have time to save. You say you have good employment history and can show repayment capacity. They are hugely important for getting a mortgage and you will probably be fine. A good mortgage broker will tell you what you need to do in order to meet the banks criteria and as you say you can use the site to qualify. And you can meet them while the architect/engineer/planning consultant gets the application together. You will have some expenses up front in a new build. The first mortgage drawdown can only happen (I might be wrong on this but for AIB anyways as that is who I borrowed from) once the foundation is down. You will have solicitors fees, engineers fees, site preparations and the costs of putting down the foundation all before you get your drawdown. Now I do know some of that can be done on credit, i.e you might not have to pay for concrete etc straight away but in all likely hood you will need some cash to get you started and by some I mean a nice bit :-) 4. Hopefully submit your application with no issues. Most likely (again depends on the area etc) you will need various reports from engineers, at the very least a percolation test. So it will take time to gather all of this information to put in the application. 5. Cross your fingers and toes that the planning application is successful. Once you get planning (or word that your planning will be successful) you can go back to the mortgage broker or direct to the lender and apply for the mortgage. Once you get notified that you have been granted planning you have to wait 4 weeks to allow people to object if they so wish. So you will have time to get your finances in order.

Again, I know my view is probably tainted as we had such a hard time getting planning. But I would suggest finding out how likely it is that your application will be straight forward first and you can gauge from there! Hopefully this was some help. I am sure someone else that had a far less complicated planning process might have a different take on things!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1. Someone local with experience that can explain and prove local needs to the LA.
    2. Pre planning meeting to get an idea if planning will be allowed in theory based on the site and your background.
    3. Talk to bank and get an ball Park figure that they will lend you.
    4. Design house to suit budget and don't forget connections, contributions and professional fees all of which can add up to 20k before you even dig a hole.
    5. Lodge planning.
    6. Back to bank of planning granted as they will not lend on any site without planning in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Hello,
    I'm looking for some guidance on a self build here, myself and my wife have been gifted a site from her parents on their land, a very generous wedding present but we will be the first to build on it. Basically we don't know where to begin, have had a few chats with different lenders/brokers and I'm still none the wiser!

Can anyone who has been through this give me a few pointers like a first 5 steps procedure to follow, i.e - architect - planning permission - bank etc? I would appreciate some guidance on where and with who to start?

Also how does it work with possibly using the site as the deposit? I have a steady income but zero savings as we had a baby last year, got married the year before, got engaged the year before, was in college as a mature student for 3 years before that due to the recession! My salary has gone up year on year for the last 4 years and will continue to do so. Any advice on dealing with the banks/lenders, suggestions on which ones are the best to deal with for self builds considering our circumstances? I have a good record of rent and loan repayments that equate to a similar amount of what the repayments would be on what we can afford to borrow!

All and any advice no matter how big or small would be great?

Many thanks

starting saving, i had to pay for my architect to design the house, engineer to do the trial holes and councils development contribution fee before the bank would authorize the mortgage. I only got money from the bank when the foundation was down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I'd say an architect is the first stop.

We did a full house renovation and extension recently and we would have been lost without our architect. In fairness the architect we used was beyond sound and gave fantastic advice from day 1. He didnt even charge the the initial site visit/consultation.

On that visit he talked though the possible designs, planning implications (and loopholes), builders + tendering process, site visits, engineer and more. We felt so much more confident after that and were able to very accurately plan a budget which we managed to almost stick to.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

step 1 - understand the process (who's involved, what they can do for you, who you may need)
    step 2 - understand your site (limitations, conditions etc)
    step 3 - get some sketch ideas of layouts for your site without committing to a process
    step 4 - get the sketches costed to see what the overall house, site, and associated fees (planning contributions etc) will be
    step 5 - only when you are happy with a budget select your architect and use your budget / sketches as the basis for your planning design development
    step 6 - go for planning

there are then many more steps to come but at least you will follow a clear pathway

• Advertisement
Advertisement