Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney repair or Chimney Rebuild cost

Options
  • 21-11-2016 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Recently purchased a house which is structurally sound but Chimney needed repair. I got survey done and recommendations are -
    The chimney has undergone severe internal and external damage as a result of a chimney fire. The following needs to be done
    1. The flue connected to the open fire be relined completely, that the chimney stack be taken down to floor level in the attic and rebuilt.
    2. The chimney casing in a first floor bedroom be repaired, the fireplace refitted and the fireback replaced.
    The total cost given including Vat is ~9300, which is much higher than what i expected. What would be cost of rebuilding a new chimney? The house is about 45 years old.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

plasmin wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Recently purchased a house which is structurally sound but Chimney needed repair. I got survey done and recommendations are -
    The chimney has undergone severe internal and external damage as a result of a chimney fire. The following needs to be done
    1. The flue connected to the open fire be relined completely, that the chimney stack be taken down to floor level in the attic and rebuilt.
    2. The chimney casing in a first floor bedroom be repaired, the fireplace refitted and the fireback replaced.
    The total cost given including Vat is ~9300, which is much higher than what i expected. What would be cost of rebuilding a new chimney? The house is about 45 years old.
    Thanks in advance

Jesus, that is very steep. I probably do not have an exact comparison with what you are doing but I moved a chimney from inside to outside about 6 years ago. I was getting a few things done at the time so cannot give an exact price. Two lads charged 150 each per day. They had it down in two days and back up in 4. Other work was ongoing in parallel to this but even if it was all dedicated to the chimney, the labour costs are 1800euro. I can't remember what the cost of materials was. I have it in my mind that the chimney element of the work was approx 2,500 all in. House is dormer bungalow, outside wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Is it a plastered Block chimney or face brick?
    Bungalow or 2 story. An awkward area may be dearer to allow price for scaffold etc.
    Talking down and rebuilding there'll be new lead needed and patching back in around old slates or tiles.
    How many flues are in it?
    That price does sound on the high side

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sami2015

Hi OP,
    I recently had to take down and rebuild a chimney breast in a house ~80 years old due to severe cracking. The chimney was shared and was taken down to attic level and fully rebuilt. Some of the flues were blocked and some retained (on both my house and my neighbour's....8 flues in total). The job was ~2.5k.... but this did include the use of scaffolding that we had up for some other roof work being done at the same time (some crowds could charge 2k for scaffolding to access a chimney).

The price you were quoted seems very high...do you need the chimneys in the future? Could you take them down fully?

Good luck,
    sami

• Registered Users Posts: 25 m1989

sami2015 wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    I recently had to take down and rebuild a chimney breast in a house ~80 years old due to severe cracking. The chimney was shared and was taken down to attic level and fully rebuilt. Some of the flues were blocked and some retained (on both my house and my neighbour's....8 flues in total). The job was ~2.5k.... but this did include the use of scaffolding that we had up for some other roof work being done at the same time (some crowds could charge 2k for scaffolding to access a chimney).

The price you were quoted seems very high...do you need the chimneys in the future? Could you take them down fully?

Good luck,
    sami

Hi, I am in the same situation, cracked chimney and need to get a chimney taken down and rebuilt, mid-terrace shared chimney stack. I got a few quotes at about 4 - 5k. Would you recommend the crowd you got to do your chimney? could you PM me their details if you don't mind. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

m1989 wrote: »
    Hi, I am in the same situation, cracked chimney and need to get a chimney taken down and rebuilt, mid-terrace shared chimney stack. I got a few quotes at about 4 - 5k. Would you recommend the crowd you got to do your chimney? could you PM me their details if you don't mind. Thanks.

Was this advice given by someone a) qualified to comment b) someone who stands to benefit financially by a decision to rebuild the chimney.

Have you a photo of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 m1989

I got quotes from a few companies I found online that deal with chimney repairs so a) yes I would hope that they are qualified to comment and b) yes I guess they would stand to benefit financially from doing the work. Here is a photo of it -

4h3y81.jpg

Advertisement