Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

m50 speed cameras

Options
  • 21-11-2016 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Does anyone know if there is an active camera northbound just before knockLyon. There's white lines on the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

no cameras there

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mpeter92

Borzoi wrote: »
    no cameras there

Phew think I drifted slightly over. When I noticed the lines. Do you know if there are any on the m50 (fixed cameras)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mpeter92 wrote:
    Phew think I drifted slightly over. When I noticed the lines. Do you know if there are any on the m50 (fixed cameras)

I don't think any cameras on the m50 are operating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't think any cameras on the m50 are operating

Some of the camera's with the lines are for the average speed display for junction to junction,It reads the number plate and gets an average on time to display. Nothing for speeding...Yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

mpeter92 wrote: »

There are avg speed cameras in the port tunnel section of the M50

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Some of the camera's with the lines are for the average speed display for junction to junction,It reads the number plate and gets an average on time to display. Nothing for speeding...Yet!

It reads the number plate and gives average times... err... that's an average speed camera.

If they are in place already, well played TII. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mpeter92

monument wrote: »
    It reads the number plate and gives average times... err... that's an average speed camera.

So is it a speed camera or a traffic camera?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

monument wrote: »

They are not calibrated to a standard required to use for speeding prosecutions/FPNs

From memory the existing system anonymizes vehicles after calculation and disposes anyone going over the limit as that's an inaccurate calculation for non-speeding drivers.

The tunnel has had a bog standard SPECS system added alongside its existing system. I do not believe it has been commissioned. They are not using the existing system for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

mpeter92 wrote: »
    So is it a speed camera or a traffic camera?

They are cameras that measure the average speed of traffic so I suppose you can call it a traffic speed camera if you want. Speed camera would probably be the most suitable name as it's main function is to measure the speed of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭blackwhite

L1011 wrote: »
    They are not calibrated to a standard required to use for speeding prosecutions/FPNs

From memory the existing system anonymizes vehicles after calculation and disposes anyone going over the limit as that's an inaccurate calculation for non-speeding drivers.

The tunnel has had a bog standard SPECS system added alongside its existing system. I do not believe it has been commissioned. They are not using the existing system for that purpose.

It really sums up the forward thinking in this country.

Whilst I'm not one to be an advocate for overly zealous speed enforcement, I do believe that the M50 is in desperate need of variable speed limits to better manage the busier periods (or manage as well as can be done). For variable limits to work, they have to backed up with enforcement.
    The need for variable limits on the M50 shouldn't be coming as a surprise to those responsible for our road infrastructure, and it's a damning indictment of the poor forward planning that these cameras weren't specced to the standard required for enforcement use at the time of installation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect that an off the shelf journey time system is not capable of being used for prosecutions. AGS at the time solely used fixed cameras on motorways.

No lack of joined up thinking at all - the system required was bought and nobody else had other uses for it.

Advertisement