Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Gaming PC build

Options
  • 21-11-2016 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

The young lad has gotten it into his head that he wants to build a new gaming PC to replace his ancient pc.
    I would be keen for him to use it as a project and would appreciate some pointers to get him going.

1. What is your budget? €500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? He wants it mostly for gaming (TF2, Paladin, Space Engineers) but he also has an interest in video editing although he uses his mother's PC for that.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Not sure. It is an old 32 bit Packard Bell Imedia MC 2770

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1440x900 No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? card reader

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? First I heard of overclocking.

8. How can you pay? Debit card

9. When are you purchasing? For xmas

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Meath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

From a quick look I think your old machine is pretty useless to you unfortunately. You could possibly use the case but it would probably be tight and make gpu choices tough. The PSU is probably 250W with no connectors for graphics cards so it would also mean you would be need a card powered only by the pci-e slot and to be honest I wouldn't bother even trying to make that work with a low powered and old psu. The hard disk is probably sata so might be usable at a pinch, but can probably add some extra space. I think you have a card reader in there you could use though at least ;)

So you need "everything" really but you can do it with an i3-6100, gtx1050/rx460, h110 board, 2x4GB and a decent enough case + psu. With a 240GB SSD or 2TB hd you would be in and around around 500 depending on the case+psu you go with. I really hate to ever suggest anything other then getting an ssd, but you mention video editing and 240GB could easily end up tight for everything and 480GB is the best bang for your buck, so I think what I would suggest would be something like:

Cheap Antec case for 30-35 (amazon as I gather mindfactory will screw you on delivery)
    Corsair cx430 45 (mindfactory)
    MSI H110 50 (mindfactory)
    i3-6100 110 (mindfactory)
    2*4GB 50 (wherever)
    gtx1050/rx460 110-125 (wherever)
    480GB toshiba Q300 115 (mindfactory)

Which probably comes to about 525-550 including delivery with the ssd being the easy option to get you down under budget if you need to by either dropping to 240GB or changing to a 2TB hard disk. Those prices are ever so slightly rounded and not checked in the last few days but it should steer you in the direction of what's possible with the budget.

Advertisement