Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google censoring results ?

Options
  • 20-11-2016 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I've more or less abandoned Google over the last 6 months because I found that it was no longer working as a search engine, failing to find pages I knew existed and serving up ads related to my search terms and rubbish instead. Its not really a problem as I just moved to duckduckgo and yandex but I am now wondering how else Google is manipulating search results, at who's behest and crucially if it is blanket censorship or specifically tailored on a per-user basis. So to test this I'd like to know if anyone can reproduce my results with the test below:
    Search on Google for the term 'DMCA' on the site torrentfreak ie enter the query:
    DMCA site:wwwDOTtorrentfreakDOTcom
    there should be a load of hits as torrentfreak will have a load of articles mentioning the DMCA.
    When I perform this search on Google it returns zero results !
    When I perform the identical search on duckduckgo I get loads of results as expected.
    So I'd be interested to know if anyone else sees the same behaviour or if it is specific to me, bonus points to anyone who has access to a foreign proxy who can test if it is specific to Irish IP addresses or worldwide.

Thanks,

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just omit the "WWW" from your Google search string :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MikeHar

Alun wrote: »
    Just omit the "WWW" from your Google search string :)
    Well that's very interesting, I wonder has it always been like that, for example, the queries:
    MikeHar site:wwwDOTboardsDOTie
    MikeHar site:boardsDOTie
    return the exact same results on Google so it seems it doesn't generally have a problem with the www prefix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This works, add a space between : and wwww

DMCA site: www.torrentfreak.com

Advertisement